Blackwater Writing Project

April 13, 2010

April Fools Day

Teenagers and April Fools is quite a mixture. Most teenagers aren’t brave enough to fool the teacher, and the rest aren’t smart enough. One tried to convince me a roach was under my desk. I almost believed him, but only because I saw a ridiculously large spider just a few days before. This spider was not only big, but it also attacked me. It alternated its large eight legs and stealthily stalked me screaming in my classroom while no one came to my rescue. I suppose I was the fool with the spider encounter.

April Fools day this year also had another event. During first block our principal came on the intercom announcing:

“Teachers, we are currently under lockdown. Please do not allow students to leave the classroom until further notice. No one is immediate danger, but please have all students remain in the classroom. Thank you.”

Seriously? You want me to contain twenty fifteen-year-olds the day before school lets out for Spring Break?

“Ms. Smith, he’s just getting us for April Fools, right?”

“Sorry kids, you know he doesn’t joke around.”

Thankfully, my amazing first block calmed down quickly and we continued to go over the study guide for our test the next day. While steadily highlighting, we are interrupted by dogs barking in the hallway, and sure enough, huge German shepherds come skulking down the hallway by my classroom. I think this is the point my first block realized this was no April Fools joke. Chaos ensued.

After much pleading, we calmed down yet again and continue studying once again. Until the lockdown was lifted. As soon as we got the OK to leave the classroom, five students immediately raised their hands to go to the restroom.

I gave up…the lockdown made a fool out of me.

3 Comments:

  • Before I read who wrote this, I knew you did by the desciption of the spider incident. I could just see that happening!

    By Blogger Mary Poppins, at 10:31 PM  

  • Someone eventually came to my rescue, but I had already killed the spider. It was a flight or fight instinct.

    By Blogger Nikki, at 10:40 PM  

  • Spiders seriously stalk you, don't they? This is at least the second spider incident that I know of. I'm sure there have been plenty others. Remind me never to go camping with you. I bet the spiders have communicated, and they're just waiting for you to enter their domain . . .

    Happy newlywed status!

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home