Blackwater Writing Project

March 09, 2010

little stresses...

I've been reading about all the other stresses in people's lives, and I can't help but think that mine are not nearly as bad. The biggest things for me are: thesis and worrying about being up to snuff on my observations.

All that's going through my head is, "I have no idea what to write." What I'm writing on isn't even a huge topic. I'm writing on the Oz books which is nice because there is some critical background, but mostly all I want to say, someone else has said it in some fashion or another. All I can think is, "How on earth did Matt find something interesting and new to write on "The Faerie Queen"?" Ugh.

Of course, never knowing where I stand in my observations makes me twitch. I might not get a job next semester if I don't do well. Hello poverty. Well, ever MORE poverty.

OK, enough ranting. To give everyone a little pat on the back, I think it's important to remember that we need stress. It helps us get things done and it reminds us that we care about what we're doing. When we stress over writing a paper, grading a test, or even all the things we have to do during the day, a little stress reminds us that why we're doing it is important. I think I'd rather do things worth doing and be stressed than do nothing worth mentioning.

5 Comments:

  • I agree that I need stress. I know this is shocking, but I do tend to procrastinate. Somehow the stress of preparing something at the last minute makes me actually peform better.

    By Blogger Mary Poppins, at 6:22 PM  

  • Does it make you perform better or just give you more motivation?

    By Blogger Darcy, at 9:53 AM  

  • Good perspective-makes me feel like my stress has a purpose!

    By Blogger blindsi, at 10:39 AM  

  • Yep, stress is essential. Perhaps the problem is finding the right amount of stress, enough to keep us productive, to make us think our actions matter, but not so much that we freeze and don't do anything. Despite making a long list in my entry, I agree that stress is a good thing.

    This year is supposed to be a learning year for you as a teacher. If you had it all figured out, you'd be bored with the job pretty quickly. As long as you keep assessing what's going well and what needs to change, you're doing what a good teacher does.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 12:03 PM  

  • Think about how we STRESS important things...it's the same word, different meaning. And hey, STRESSED spelled DESSERTS backwards, right? Chocolate, anyone?

    By Blogger Jennifer, at 12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home