Blackwater Writing Project

April 13, 2010

Nobody's Fool

For whatever reason, my grandmother taught me that the word “fool” is a horrible word. She even told me that I would go to hell if I used that word. She actually found scripture to support this, but I tend to disagree with her. That would be one of many situations that have caused me to look at myself as a fool. Another way I feel like a fool is the way I have spent the last ten years. Ten years ago, I married a single father who had physical custody of his daughter. Since then, I have raised her, along with my two biological children. Meanwhile, my husband has gone off to pursue all of his desires. He first decided he wanted to be in law enforcement, so he worked in a jail for a while, working night shifts lasting three or so months at a time. We never saw each other, but I was able to maintain our household seamlessly. Then, he changed gears again, deciding to be a trooper. This took him away from home for six months. We saw him occasionally on weekends, but not very frequently. As a trooper, he would spend many nights working, so he was not really a part of our lives. Once, he agreed to pick up our daughter from the sitter because I had a meeting at school. However, he forgot, and my baby was at the sitter until almost 8:00 PM. He couldn’t even handle the simplest tasks. I was a fool for thinking somehow things would get better. Not only were we not seeing each other much, but when we did see each other, we fought constantly. Few people knew this because we were so perfect at putting on the “church face.” After working as a trooper, he decided he wanted to pursue his lifelong dream of being an Army aviator. He joined the National Guard, and he was sent to flight school. That took almost two years, and now he is in Afghanistan for a year. For so long, I have tried to pretend that I am okay with all of this, but I am not, and I really do feel like a fool for enduring it for so long. My children barely know their father, and my oldest, who is my husband’s biological child, said recently, “I wish he would just go off and follow his dream and leave us alone.” What kind of fool endures all this for so long?? I thought that if he got a good enough paycheck and we had good enough insurance, I would be okay with it all. So many people have said they don’t know how I do it, but truth be told, I’ve never missed him. There is something wrong with that. I often question how I could have been such a fool and made such poor decisions, but if we had not gotten married, I wouldn’t have my wonderful babies. However, I am constantly plagued with thoughts that I made foolish decisions to try and improve my life. In theory, I wanted to protect my children’s childhood, but I feel like I’ve done anything but that. They are growing up without a father, living in a pitiful excuse for a house, and dealing with a stressed out mama. I feel like a fool for thinking I was making things better with the decisions I’ve made. But, I’m through being a fool. I will not be anyone’s fool again. I will make my children happy, and I will make myself happy. I haven’t been happy for so long, although I’ve pretended I was completely happy. What a fool I was. As I said, no longer. I am moving forward, and as the hair band Cinderella said I am “Nobody’s Fool.”

5 Comments:

  • Congratulations on trying to take charge of your life. I can certainly say I've been that fool too. I know from experience that keeping quiet for the sake of trying to keep the peace usually ends up never making anyone happy. I'm also glad you feel comfortable enough to share this personal information. Good luck.

    By Blogger Darcy, at 7:40 PM  

  • Ugh, this is my second attempt at responding. The first attempt vanished, almost like Mary Poppins had put a spell on it . . .

    Mary Poppins, this makes my heart hurt. I hate that you're not happy, and it does surprise me, but I could never think of you as a fool. Never.

    I see you as an optimist, as a mother determined to protect your children and to provide them with a good life, as a teacher determined to improve the educational environment of your students, as a good person who makes everyone's life a little brighter. You truly do have some Mary Poppins magic about you. I hope you make your life become the way you wish.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 9:04 PM  

  • Donna so stole my comment. This totally makes my heart hurt, too. I hate to know that you're going through this right now, Mary Poppins! I can not even imagine what it would be like to have to run a household alone... not to mention the demands of teaching and mothering full time. Sometimes I'm not sure that I'll ever be able to pull it off. You all know how ADD I am... and when I'm in full ADD mode, I tend to let things go... (and see, I'm so getting off topic here!)

    Anyway, I definitely do NOT think you are foolish... and I agree with Donna. You are a truly amazing woman! I've been in awe of you since the first time I met you! You really are an awesome mom, and a true inspiration to me. I love you much, and I am thinking of and praying for you!!!

    By Blogger Carrie Beth, at 9:23 PM  

  • I agree with Carrie Beth and Donna. You are amazing, don't ever forget that. It's important to remember that families come in all different sizes and shapes. My parents have been divorced my entire life, and I have been truly blessed with an amaing stepmother because of it, just like your stepdaughter has been. It's by no means easy, but you are one of the most determined people I've ever met.

    My cousin told me I would go to hell for saying fool too. For the longest time I was terrified of hell and brimstone because of one word. He didn't know exactly where the scripture was though.

    By Blogger Nikki, at 10:34 PM  

  • And can I just say I'm impressed that you know Cinderella's "Nobody's Fool"? That's so 80s!

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home