Blackwater Writing Project

March 10, 2010

Redneckery

I came up with this term to describe some of the activities I have had a chance to participate in while here in Jacksonville. The street that I'm living in is predominantly working class, tradesmen and women. They are simple, plain-spoken, and will give you the shirt off their backs. If you're stuck in a ditch, these people will come and help you out. They are ingenious. They can survive under any adversity. Entertainment is simple and often involves mudpits, ATVs, talking about NASCAR, debating any topic, laughing, joking, and no hard feelings.

The latest redneckery that I participated in was a backyard bonfire. It consisted of a very large wood pile, friends and relatives (and friends and relatives of friends and relatives). Everyone is introduced around and offered a cold beer. The night was a little too cold for me to hold a cold beer, so I passed on the offer and sat back to take in the happening. Someone turned up the radio in their truck and played country music for everyone there. The sparks from the bonfire drifted up into the night sky, blending in with the stars. I fully expected any of the adjacent pine trees to burst into flames from the sparks, but no impromptu wildfires.

Everyone was laughing, talking, and having a good time. We periodically turned ourselves as if we were on a rotisserie as the heat from the fire became uncomfortable on the exposed side.

It was an interesting way to spend a Saturday night. Frankly, there are a lot worse ways to spend one's time and I genuinely enjoyed the company.

1 Comments:

  • I love bonfires. I've always loved them. They remind me of high school as we sometimes met at the Big Oak and sat around a bonfire, drinking beer and listening to music, but never country. Ugh, never country.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home