Blackwater Writing Project

March 10, 2010

Procrastination

So most of my stress comes from procrastinating, which is why I'm blogging the night after Write Night. I get wrapped up in needing to do things, but honestly, stress doesn't normally strike me until the last minute and then it's more like panic than stress. My classes did an in-class journal this morning, and they responded to Baz Luhrmann's "Sunscreen Song." If you haven't heard it, google the lyrics-they're great. Some of my favorite lines are:

"Don't worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindside you at 4 p.m. on some idle Tuesday."

and

"Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself."

I think our culture has given us the idea that we're in control of our lives, and we are, but only to a certain point. Then everyone else and our circumstances come into play. Not saying that we shouldn't set goals, but we also need to remember that most of the pressure on us comes from ourselves. Think Matrix/Fight Club mentality...when it's all over, which parts of life are real? Or do we make ourselves miserable with what we believe is reality/important when it's not?

2 Comments:

  • It's rare for stress to actually knock me out enough to make me want to scream or cry, but I've had a few of those this week. For the most part, stress is just a low hum; it's background noise. There are always more things that need to be done, but they'll get done--or they won't, and I'll apologize for not getting them done. All is well.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 12:00 PM  

  • It's a low hum, background noise. I like that, Donna. And it's so true. In the end, what matters?

    By Blogger Jennifer, at 12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home