Blackwater Writing Project

February 09, 2010

V-Day

Total scam. I'm not sure why we need to set aside one day to tell someone we love them. Shouldn't this be an everyday event? I think measuring love by big gestures is a way to miss all the little things that make up love. It's a Tuesday where my favorite dinner is already prepared when I get home. It's automatically turning to Greek on Monday nights. I wonder if we would be this cynical about the holiday if Hallmark had not put its two cents in. If we could walk in Walmart and not disappear under a downpour of red, would we want to celebrate the holiday of love? If we were forced to discover our own clever ways to express our love, would we still heave a huge sigh of disgust at the sight of tacky heart shaped boxes?

Ugh...after reading this I want to regurgitate. My post is cliche and cheesy itself.

One year, I decided to make my own Valentine's Day cards. As much as I love pink, there wasn't a speck of pink or red on those cards. They were orange, blue, green, and even camouflage. I was pretty impressed with my non traditional cards. My friends became worried about my disgust for all things mushy and gushy. They weren't as pleased with my efforts as I had been after making them. I got alot of, "Um...this is nice. I think?" Maybe I shouldn't have made the black card.

Just in case you're wondering (And why wouldn't you be? Because I'm sure you stay up nights wondering about my personal life.) Austin and I stopped celebrating Valentine's Day for a while now. We don't even get each other presents for Christmas. Come to think of it, he's lucky if I remember his birthday.

3 Comments:

  • Nikki, Thanks for clearing that up. I've been wondering about your personal life. I LOVE the idea of homemade cards. Wes and I used to do that for Christmas cards, but it seriously limited the number of cards we sent. I would love a homemade camouflage card, which is about the only kind of camouflage I ever want to see.

    It's hard to write about this holiday without being cliched, I think, whether you support it or not.

    Okay, another happy moment is when Wes dances to a television jingle. It makes me giggle every single time. (Sorry, completely random, but it's an addition to the list from my post.)

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 8:31 PM  

  • Irony: seeing a commercial for Wal-Mart's new Valentine's Day section while reading these posts.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 8:34 PM  

  • I am with you about not getting things for the various holidays. For me, if I want something, I get it myself. So, trying to give my husband some idea of what to get me is so fake because really, I have all I want. Therefore, I can't help but feel like it is a waste of money, so we skip it.

    By Blogger Mary Poppins, at 10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home