Blackwater Writing Project

January 13, 2010

Philosophical Bandwagons

Sorry I'm late posting-that sleep thing overtook me.

Jumping on bandwagons has always been kind of amusing to me. Of course I've done it, probably anyone what says they haven't has jumped on the bandwagon of being an "individual" who refuses to admit that they conform to society in some way, but the reality of bandwagons is funny to me. It seems like things become popular because a few people begin doing them and then everyone wants to jump on-board. But then those things lose their "cool" factor because the exclusivity has gone down. Like wearing guess jeans back in the day. As long as Claudia Schiffer was wearing them, everyone wanted a pair, but when half of the class had a pair (or a pair of Lee jeans they had sewn a guess label onto) they lost their cool. So people jumped off the bandwagon. Seems like we only want to be like other people until there are too many people like us.

When I was an undergrad, having a pierced navel or some tattoo on your lower back was the height on style/sexiness. My mother pretty much threated my life if I came home with ink-probably because even she knew I would choose something trendy in the moment instead of something with any real meaning. So I opted for the piercing instead. Apparently my skin is not made for piercing, cause it never really healed like it should have, and I ended up taking it out a couple years later. Flash forward to a few years post-pregnancy and get ready for too much information. My navel now resembles a droopy eyelid. Yep, the seven years between my piercing and childbirth was apparently not enough to restore my skin's elasticity. So now I have the canopy of the bandwagon I jumped on forever on my stomach. Be careful what wagon you jump on-you may end up wearing part of it.

3 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Carrie Beth, at 11:02 AM  

  • Haha! You make me laugh, L! I so remember Guess jeans and all their glory! The same thing goes on now... my little cousins won't wear anything unless it's from Aeropostale... or some other teeny bopper clothing store. I make fun of it... and then I remember doing the same thing when I was their age. Funny.

    By Blogger Carrie Beth, at 11:02 AM  

  • You prepared me for far more post-pregnancy grossness than you actually delivered. Instead of a drooping eyelid, maybe it just winks. See, back to sexy!

    Sewing other labels onto jeans makes me laugh. I've never considered that, but I do remember (flashback to the 80s) getting my first (and only) Members Only jacket. Talk about just naming the bandwagon by brand. It was hot pink and didn't match the popular style, but I still work it everywhere for two or three years. I loved that jacket.

    Now I wear a scarf Wes's cousin knit me almost every day, and I love it, but I love it because she made it when she was very sick, and it keeps her close to me. What matters changes, I guess, over time.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home