Blackwater Writing Project

January 12, 2010

Fads and fashions, boys and bandwagons...

Most of my close friends can vouch for what I am about to share with you: I have a burning hatred for fads. I just don't like them. Nope, not me. Ok, well maybe a little bit. YES... I do own several different patterns of Vera Bradley in the form of too many bags and accessories and pieces luggage to count. And YES... a Pandora bracelet does now encircle my right wrist. And YES... I now am the proud owner of two Big-T Tervis Tumblers. And... ok, you forced me... YES... I do have my monogram proudly displayed on several purses and even a shower curtain!

Let me back up and try to explain. It's never the actual item that I abhor (Ok, well maybe the Snuggie is the exception to this rule); it's the fad. The all-consuming craze. The hordes of women scrambling to buy something that everyone else already has. The need to "keep up with the Joneses." More often than not, I actually love the fad, the trend, the whatever you want to call it. It's just the principle of the matter. I won't be one of them.


This ridiculous obsession with not being like everyone else can be traced back even as far as my unsightly middle school days. I remember when Nicole and Karen and Jodi and Erin and April and Crystal and Jennifer and Bethany and well, pretty much everyone thought that Brody James (name changed to protect the not-so-innocent) was THE hottest boy in sixth grade. When he moved to town, he quickly became the topic of hushed whispers, code-encrypted notes, and of course our telepathic messages to each other when he sauntered past our lunch table. Oh, he was the "junk." Everyone loved him, everyone wanted him, and no one held back on expressing interest. Except me. I feverishly denied all attraction, ruthlessly picked on my dreamy-eyed friends, and even blatantly dissed him during our inner-circle discussions. My friends thought I had lost my mind. I did not – I repeat , DID NOT – like Brody James. In fact, I loathed him. And YES... at night I did doodle his name in my Lisa Frank unicorn and rainbow journal. And I certainly DID listen to Boyz II Men, Mariah Carey, and the occasional Brian White as I cried myself to sleep over the boy I could never have.


I can also recall when Pandora bracelets first arrived on the jewelry scene. My sister bought one, Nicole had one, Michelle wore hers every day, and just about every other female I knew seemed to have one. I thought to myself “Now why would I want to have a bracelet just like everyone else? Sure they’re cute… but I just can’t do it.” Even though the whole point of Pandora bracelets was to have an individualized charm bracelet, the fact that everyone had one quickly turned me away. Fast forward three years. I recently purchased my own Pandora bracelet and have received several charms for it as gifts from my family. Why am I suddenly ok with being the owner of said bracelet? Because the fad has died down… the craze is over. And to be quite honest with you, it may be my favorite piece of jewelry ever. Except for my John Wind/Maximal Art chunky gold bracelet with the big fat “C” monogrammed disc charm and huge pearl dangle. YES… this is also a current trend in jewelry. Why do I own it??? The answer’s quite simple… I found it and liked it before everyone else bought one and it got all out of hand! Even though I received mine as a Christmas present this year (in the height of the craze, I might add), I can truly say that “I loved it before….”


Ok, so maybe I am a little quirky. Seriously... have we NOT already established that????


7 Comments:

  • I completely understand your derision of fads. I remember for my birthday when I was a senior at Mercer, and my boyfriend at the time got me a Vera Bradley bag. At the time I'd never even heard of the brand. He told me his sister picked it and it's a well known name brand. I liked it and started using it as my school bag. One day in my senior English class a girl I'd never really spoken with too much stopped and told me, "oh, I love your Vera Bradley bag. You're in the club now." All I could think was that it must not be a very exclusive club if I'd stumbled into membership. So I guess I sort of see fads as memberships into nonexclusive clubs for those with disposable income. Good post!

    By Blogger Darcy, at 12:34 PM  

  • Yes, we had already established the quirkiness. I think we knew in the interview . . . well, I probably knew preinterview when you delivered your application at 4:45 before the 5:00 p.m. deadline. But quirky is what we expect from you.

    I'm not into jewelry, which messes up my family when it comes to Christmas and birthdays. And I'm not into frou frou, which adds another level of challenge. But quirky, yeah, that's a good word, a good trait to have. I think I'll claim it for myself, even though it probably doesn't fit me. I probably get more boring words like stable or grounded. Ugh!

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 1:23 PM  

  • Darcy... I totally agree! I like that idea... memberships into nonexclusive clubs!

    Donna... I mean come on, it was totally not my fault! I was waiting on a rec letter! : ) Hehehehe! I love quirky... and I definitely think it's a good word and an even better trait. And I think we all are a little on the quirky side! Even you! ; ) Now if only I could be described as stable or grounded... that would be a real feat.

    By Blogger Carrie Beth, at 1:57 PM  

  • I kept trying to guess if you had written this or Alison (because of the Snuggie reference). But the embroidered shower curtain was what steered me toward you. (Do you remember our conversation about embroider costs and the best places to go?)

    Don't hate, but I bought my mom the OTHER bracelet. (I can't remember the name, but it starts with a C and is sold at Girardin.)

    Thanks for reminding me of the many bandwagons I've joined and the ones I'd like to forget! :)

    By Blogger eromler, at 6:12 PM  

  • Okay, first I'm not sure whether to take the snuggie reference as a complement or insult!! I love you though!! I know what you mean. I had never heard of Vera Bradley until I started teaching and it seemed that every teacher had one. So, I had to get one. Then, this Christmas when the Zhu Zhu pet became the craze, I was an idiot and showed up at Wal-mart to ensure my child had the hot pet. Do they really care about it?? NO! The fad will be gone and I will be left with squeaking rodents. Just like I'm left with a closet full of "old" Vera that I can't use because the new stuff is out. What is wrong with me??

    By Blogger Mary Poppins, at 6:31 PM  

  • Quirky is the perfect adjective to describe you!

    As for being different just to be different, I must say I've known many of those types in my years. I can't count how many elitist members there used to be in the Valdosta Punk/Skater scene. There used to be a little club where Ben Owens' Music is called Planet 10 where bands came for shows. I remember the looks people would give to newcomers and the cliques that would form with each person trying to outdo the other. Sad to look back on it now and think of how silly we all were.

    By Blogger Mrs. Dyess, at 6:50 PM  

  • R - YES! I remember the embroidery convo... DDP in Thomasville is sooooo cheap! : ) And don't worry - I won't hate you for buying a Chamilia bracelet... I actually am not a Pandora-or-bust girl... I plan on mixing my charms because some of Pandora's are ugly! ; )

    So, what am I missing about Snuggies and Mary Poppins??? Do you love them, A? (If so, sorry!) Haha! I don't necessarily hate them... I just hate the commercials... and I don't think they are soft enough! ; )

    M, I know what you mean - different just to be different just makes you look ridiculous. Which I guess is different... haha!

    By Blogger Carrie Beth, at 10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home