Blackwater Writing Project

January 12, 2010

There are certain types of bandwagons that are not so bad, and then there are others to avoid. The key is picking the bandwagon instead of letting it pick you. Certaily, we might safely say that a bandwagon with which we choose to join up with which also has inherent benefits could lead us to a better place. But everytime I just read bandwagon, I kept picturing the imagery that must have led to the coinage of the aphorism. This is my mental snapshot: a several piece brass and string band on the back of a wagon being pulled through the streets at a vehement pace by a man dressed in some sort of tophat, holding a whip in the right hand with the reins in the left. The tune being played frenetically has to be something like "Camptown Races" --"Camptown ladies sing this song, DO dah, DO dah..."

Now this type of bandwagon could be nothing but out of control. Thus it must be that popular idiomatic speech beleives that a bandwagon, and the placement of one's self on such wagon, would constitute a loss of control, thus the pejorative nature of the term. It all seems to be about control. We are taught that control is a good thing, to be in control of one's life, to control others, to control destiny, to control fate, to control luck, and the list goes on ad infinitum. But could not the loss of the control just be OK sometimes. Let someone else do the driving. See where life takes you. It could be a nice tune that you like that the bandwagon is playing. Or it could just be that the bandwagon and its players and riders seem alluring.

I know I'm on a bandwagon now. Life's a bandwagon. In this case, you don't pick it, it picks you, you are already implicated in the game -- "implique dans le jeu." There's nothing to do but hold on. I'm just barely holding on today. I like the wagon most of the time, and the only option, getting off this life wagon, isn't so attractive. But then I guess there are certain sub-wagons running within the main, unversal wagon. We don't always pick these either. And sometime, we just don't know what the wagon's all about. But wagons are wagons are wagons. We eventually get off of all of them one way or the other. You can fall of, or you can actively get off. I guess that means there is a choice. The choice of wagons is sometimes a one way choice, a non-choice that can't be rescinded. At any rate, hope you enjoyed my wagonesque pseudo-philosophizing. Buenas noches.

1 Comments:

  • I really like the imagery. I hadn't thought about where the name comes from, but I really like it that I hear singing when I read your post. It's nice to smile when I sitting in my office waiting for my 9:30 class to begin.

    Ooh, on a side note, did the reference letter arrive?

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home