Blackwater Writing Project

February 09, 2010

Army of one!

I'm glad I waited to post. I was going to join the bandwagon and post about how much I don't like Valentine's Day, but apparently it needs someone to defend it. But now how do I defend it?

Well, I started by doing a little research on it. Of course, like most religious holidays (yes, SAINT Valentine's Day) it was originally a pagan celebration. Did you know it started with sacrificing a bull and then whiping women with bloody pieces of skin (thank you History.com). Yikes! I'm glad we don't celebrate it that way. Then the Catholic church grabbed and ran with it to make a non pagan holiday. According to History.com, one theory behind who St. Valentine is, is that he was a priest who was arrested because he opposed a sanction against marriage. So lovers would go to him in prison for a secret wedding. So it's really a day for unrequited lovers, which is actually kinda sweet (chocolate sweet, that is).


So then I learned these that it's the most celebrated holiday of the year with:
200,000,000 (for the mathematically challenged, that's 200 million) cards are exchanged each year
36,000,000 (million) boxes of candy sold
180,000,000 (million) red roses given
and generally
$14 million spent.

So who we should really dislike is just Hallmark/1800flowers/and chocolate companies and not unrequited lovers. So actually, Valentine's Day really is for singles.

2 Comments:

  • I like the data. It always intrigues me. I must have St. Valentine confused with someone else. Who got the snakes out of Ireland?

    I wonder how much money Wes and I have saved over the years (18 years of marriage + 4 years of dating) by not buying each other stuff.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 9:54 PM  

  • That was St. Patrick! That's too funny.

    By Blogger Darcy, at 11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home