Blackwater Writing Project

June 24, 2008

Insomnia

Okay, I have to admit that the topic today revolves around me. (You all knew that that I was a selfish, self-serving little . . . )

I have a theory that the later at night that you sit at a computer, the harder that it will be to "power off."

Case in point, last night. After an exhilarating day at the WP, I was motivated to actually clean off the kitchen bar. This has been the summer of cleaning and organization since I decided that I would have to wait a little longer to buy/build a house because I am too damn picky. Or I have too much damn stuff. (Can you see where I am going with this?) So, I got to cleaning, put away the laundry that I did over the weekend that usually just hangs out until I need it, and washed the sheets and towels that I had previously manipulated my mom into doing. Then I got on the computer, wrote on a few walls on Facebook (I forgot it was another guilty pleasure), and headed to the e-anthology.

I started going in chronological order, then I just started randomly typing in page numbers. 88. 66. 34. 15. 74. I would click on a post then decide that I wasn't in the mood. I was behind on my posts, so I was determined to get caught up at any cost. And, of course, because I am me I couldn't just "bless." Besides I don't know how to "bless." Before I knew it, it was 12:00 A.M. And I get up around 4:00. That's just how I function. Crap.

After convincing Lorelai, who was asleep at my feet, that it really was time to go to bed, I took my allergy pill and Topamax. In retrospect, maybe taking it with a Diet Coke wasn't such a good idea. But to be honest, I'm really not 100% sure it was a Diet Coke. All I know is that there were three in the fridge last evening, and this morning there were two. I brushed my teeth, put in my retainers, and hoped that my pills would somehow cause regain their drowsiness quotient. (I just remembered I haven't taken my Topamax for this morning.)

I don't know exactly what time it was when I went to bed. All of my clocks (I have four) are set at different intervals, so I really have no idea what time it really is, especially when I am tired. But it was after 12:00 . . .

1:00 or some semblance of it comes around, and I'm pissed that Lorelai can sleep so peacefully, so I decide that maybe if I cuddle with her, she will help me sleep. Luckily, she doesn't growl at me like she sometimes does, and she lets me curl up with her. (Don't make it peverted.)

2:00 or something like it and I am still awake. Lorelai, annoyed with me, separated from me earlier with a "humph" and a plop to the end of the bed. I decide that a popsicle (sp?) might do the trick. Maybe I'm just hungry. After all, all I had for dinner was a salad. I open the freezer, grab one, and open it only to be disgusted. It's another one of those stupid raspberry ones. I throw it down the sink and decide to eat a Fudgesicle (sp) without even bothering to take out my retainers.

Somewhere between then and 5:00 I must get some sleep. My alarms don't even go off, but I just decide to get up. What's the use of staying in bed at this point? I'm not getting any sleep. Lorelai, on the other hand, maneuvers to my side of the bed and lies down with her head on my pillow.

On the way out, I tell my mom, "She's going to be grumpy today. She didn't get much sleep."

1 Comments:

  • You were using third person to talk about yourself to your mom, weren't you? Miss Grumpy indeed! (Actually, you didn't seem grumpy at all, but I like for people to have titles, so Miss Grumpy works.)

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home