Blackwater Writing Project

June 23, 2008

Guilty Pleasures aka Things I'd Rather Not Admit But I Will

When I think of guilty pleasures, I think of the things that I would be embarassed to admit. The things that would completely undermine my reputation as a serious and studious person. For example, the fact that I always find the time to watch America's Best Dance Crew whenever it comes on, that I actually find humor in Rob and Big, and have songs by Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, and Britney Spears downloaded to my iPod.

One of the things that I love the most is spending Sunday afternoon in bed. I don't know when it started, but I always come home from church (usually after lunch with my pew buddies, the Klimkos), get out of my probably only wear it on Sunday dress, put on a comfy T-shirt (my navy Georgetown is my current favorite) and a pair of Gap boxers, and hunker down in my bed for the next twelve hours. I will wake up every couple of hours, sometimes to be with my golden retriever Lorelai and sometimes without, and turn on the television only to be disappointed by the lack of choices despite the fact that we have satellite, then go back to sleep. But by 6:00, I am normally totally awake to watch the CSI marathon on Spike at 6:00 although lately I have started to watch the Law and Order: Criminal Intent marathon on Bravo. Nevermind that I always have other things to do. I'll go to bed at 10:00 P.M. when the episodes start to repeat and wake up at 4:00 A.M.

Another guilty pleasure that I have is buying expensive handbags. My rationale is simple: I don't have children, so I can spend that money on a purse. Besides it is an investment; they are timeless, and they will stand the test of time although I have to admit that I haven't recycled any of the ones that I have purchased in the past. They are just hanging or sitting in my closet. But they are there when I do have children and can no longer afford to buy them.

Another guilty pleasure I have is black and white cookies. It is probably a good thing that they are not readily available in the South because if they were, I would be even worse off. When I went to New York City, home of the black and white cookie, I bought them everytime that I went to Starbucks. It didn't matter that they were 1.95 for two cookies the size of my fist; I had to have dem cookies.

The other day I was at Starbucks and was totally bummed that they did not have any butter croissants. Then I saw one lonely package of black and white cookies just thrown on top of the biscotti as if they were rejects. What had happened? What? Were they not good enough for the North? Quickly, I snatched those bad boys up and did a mental happy dance. It was too early to scare the people at Starbucks with my dancing, another guilty pleasure of mine.

1 Comments:

  • Just so you know, now everytime I look at you, I picture you on stage with a posse doing some serious dance moves. But doing them very seriously . . .

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home