Blackwater Writing Project

August 20, 2007

School Beginnings

I honestly meant to post to the Blog earlier . . . I just couldn't remember my stupid password.

It has been an interesting ten days so far. I say ten because I have never been so excited about an FTE count in my entire life.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit disappointed when I found out that I would be teaching two collaborative classes this year. It's not that I think that I am too good for them; I just have taught collab classes for most of my teaching career. (I think that I have maybe had two semesters out of seven and a half years of teaching that were without an inclusion class.) Nevertheless, the collab teacher and I worked together last year, so we had a history and were determined to make the best of the situation. The first day we had 35 students in period 2. Day two saw a record of 38 students. I just laughed. What else could I do? Eventually, the numbers dwindled down to a more manageable 33. Luckily, my other English classes are only in the 29-31 range.

Did I mention that we have no English books or literature books? They are coming . . .

Other than that, things are going well. Hectic, but well. I'm on a new team, and they have embraced and fed me well. (Let's count the number of times I can use "well" in a sentence.) My kids are different, but in a good way. I have joined the world of WebCT and just completed Dr. Smith's first assignment. Now if I can just fit in some time to exercise . . . thank goodness my mom walks Lorelai!

Hope all is well with everyone else.

3 Comments:

  • Well, your year sounds like it started with a bang! (I hope it won't end with one. We had a 70 year old doctor shot by his wife of 40 years today in Waycross.) Maybe your collab partner and you will still be speaking after year two. Good luck!

    By Blogger kade, at 4:34 PM  

  • No books? Wow! I can't imagine.

    Is it weird to be back in grad school? I mean, I know you were in grad school this summer, but I don't think of the Summer Institute as grad school. It is that, but more.

    Oh well, I better get back to prepping for classes. Fifty notebooks and fifty papers come in today, plus the missing papers from about thirty more students who didn't realize they had a paper due last Wednesday. Grrr.

    I forgot about your Thursday night class, which will keep you from going out to eat with us Thursday night. Sorry. Amanda said she's changing it to Friday night after this month.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 10:55 AM  

  • Yeah, Valerie and I totally would have rather have been eating at the Catfish House.

    This summer was the best part of grad school.

    By Blogger eromler, at 5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home