Blackwater Writing Project

August 13, 2007

Childhood Dreams

Hmm, childhood dreams? When I was young, I wanted to be a marine biologist, mostly because I wanted to work with sharks. Well, clearly, I'm no marine biologist, but I did swim with sharks in Belize several years ago. Granted, they were only nurse sharks, but they were as big as I was, and there was nothing separating them from me except for some water. I still remembering swimming over one, about two feet of water separating us, and marveling at the proximity. I thought about touching it, but I didn't want to be the stupid tourist nicked by a nurse shark. Besides, I just liked sharing the ocean. Yes, I know that every time I step into the ocean, I'm swimming with sharks, but usually I don't see them except for when news stations do the flyovers and show how many sharks are actually in the water. That's cool.

Okay, here's a weird shark thing. I'm not scared to swim with sharks. I never worry about what's in the ocean with me--except jellyfish because they hurt. Alligators don't scare me when I ski in a river because I grew up around them and realize that they usually go away from people unless some idiot has been feeding them. Thus, I'm not scared of dangerous animals or fish for the most part. But here's the weird part: I can't hang my feet off a bed for fear of something touching them. So I'm not scared of sharks or gators in the ocean or river, but scared of them in my bedroom? What's that about? And I won't swim in a dark pool at night! Again, that's just weird.

Sharks fascinate me. I love Shark Week on the Discovery Channel. I think that started when I was in college. It was probably the first time I ever watched the Discovery Channel. Now I've seen most of their documentaries. Recently, I watched the new one about the worst shark attack in history when a boat sank, the boat that delivered the atomic bomb to Japan, and the Navy didn't send a rescue team for several days. Anyway, it was an interesting piece.

In high school I didn't enjoy physiology, which made me think I probably wasn't cut out to be a scientist in any shape, form, or fashion. Plus, I refused to dissect anything in high school or college. Maybe then, I should just be a beach bum rather than a marine biologist. Yeah, that's the ticket. Now I just need someone to buy me a beach house. Hello? Is anyone listening? I don't hear anyone volunteering.

The music is different tonight--older rock music. The current song sounds like 50s music, very different from what I usually hear at Hildegard's. I'm glad Hildegard's is back. Write Night just isn't the same unless we're here.

Okay, that's it for me tonight. I wasn't really in the mood to write. I just wanted to see people and get caught up. I'm looking forward to reading what others wrote.

3 Comments:

  • So, what if someone else feeds the alligator, but he eats you for lunch? Large bodies of water lacking in chlorine and other purifying chemicals frighten me.

    By Blogger blindsi, at 7:30 PM  

  • I knew this was you as soon as you said the word "shark." Then again, I guess it wasn't really rocket science. *scratches head and wonders if she sounds dumb*

    By Blogger Kat, at 7:50 PM  

  • I hate the ocean because of everything I can't see in it! I don't have a problem hanging my feet of the bed though. Don't think I'll be swimming with Sharks anytime soon...unless there is money involved!

    By Blogger Adam, at 10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home