Blackwater Writing Project

August 13, 2007

I used to think...

I used to think that the ocean was salty because so many animals peed in it. I'm still not completely convinced my theory is wrong. I've yet to hear a better explanation. I also used to think that ants had towns just like people. That one of those little trails must lead to an ant grocery store, another to an ant hospital. And if we could watch the ants scurrying obliviously, what might be watching us, thinking how little and silly we are. And let's not forget about space travel. At twelve I was as adamant as ninety year old man that we had NOT gone into space and that it was a plan by the government to take our money and make us think they were spending it on something useful. I mean, how do you get to space???

Some of my theories make me laugh now, but in general they kind of amaze me. They remind me of why I like working with kids and why I'm so excited about having my own. I love the "logic" that kids use, that, in kidspeak, is logical. It's so much fun to see kids get excited about something because they invented it. (Nevermind their creation has been around since before patents.) Most of the time they're just so easily intrigued that I can't help but be a little jealous. How fun would it be to take part of your day and watch ants? Or walk a tightrope on the parking lot curb?

People screw their kids up when they try to teach them that part of being an adult is not doing those silly things. And adults screw themselves over by teaching kids that too, because then we miss out on the fun also. Part of my American Literature class always includes a walk around campus where I force my students to be kids and remember what was fun when they were younger. I use it to try to explain innocence to them, but in a technology society, it's not always easy to get a sixteen year old to play in a puddle. Until they try it and realize it's still fun. I wish more of our students remembered how to have fun in a puddle and less of them emulated the "adult" world that Hollywood and pop culture shows to them. No, I'm not naive or wishing for the "good old days" my grandparents talk about. I just wish more kids, no, not kids, more people realized how much life there is around them without all the stuff. And that when they swim in the ocean, they might be swimming in whale pee.

6 Comments:

  • It's not just fish peeing in the ocean . . . how many times did your parents not want to take you back up to the hotel room?

    I like the pee theory. It makes sense to me. We should generate theories for every thing we see. Read Vicki's theory about global warming. It's pretty good.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 7:31 PM  

  • This is really cute. It reminds me of the time JC was screaming with laughter while playing in the rain. Jerome asked me if I knew it was raining and I just smiled. It is good to play in the rain sometimes. Mom used to let us play in the rain as long as there was no thunder or lightning. I try to let JC play as much as possible.

    By Blogger Sonya, at 7:33 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Sonya, at 7:33 PM  

  • I love this post. The end is so funny. And hey, the beginning ain't bad either. ;)

    By Blogger Kat, at 7:53 PM  

  • Cynical, even as a 12 year old. Got to love that!

    By Blogger Adam, at 10:02 PM  

  • Wes wanted to know how you know that piss tastes salty.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home