Blackwater Writing Project

August 27, 2007

Red Hot Summer

Hmm, the heat of summer . . . well, it's definitely been hot this summer, except that we did have a break until May. As long as we had the drought, we had relatively low humidity for South Georgia; then when we first got rain, humidity flooded us. I felt slapped by it. Usually, I don't notice it that much, being unable to separate it from the heat, but not so this year. This year I finally noticed the humidity. I miss my innocence. I much preferred not noticing it.

Red Hot . . . hmm, right now, that term makes me think of the VSU dance line. One of my students is a member, so I guess I'll go to at least one football game to cheer her on. I dread the idea of football. It's one hundred degrees. Why would anyone want to sit outside for three hours? Yuck. Clearly, I'll only attend night games, but still . . . it's not like it magically cools off at 7 p.m.

Okay, clearly I'm struggling. Red Hot Summer . . . hmmm. A chant races through my head, "My team is red hot." (buh doom doom) "Your team is . . ." I can't remember how that line goes. Anyone know?

Wes laughs at me when I remember cheerleading chants, but they come back at the oddest times along with the motions, some of which are rather suggestive . . . "Do it, Indians. Win it for the fans. Do it, Indians. Do it the best you can. Do it; do it; alright, alright, alright, let's do it." Hmm, surely that made me giggle in high school?

Um, I've got nothing, but I'll respond to other people's posts, which will probably remind me of a million things I can write about, but for now, words escape me. In fact, they run fleeing and screaming from my presence. What's up with that?

2 Comments:

  • I'm sorry. I still can't believe you were ever a cheerleader. You just don't seem like the type...

    By Blogger Amy, at 6:22 PM  

  • I thought about your comment as I sat in the rain with three young children, wondering if I were going to be speared by the next lightning bolt and ironically, end my life at a high school football game. Headline: Coach's Wife Fried to Stadium Seat

    By Blogger kade, at 8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home