Blackwater Writing Project

October 14, 2010

Can you say "IN-uh-PRO-pree-uht"??

Oh my, do I have stories to tell about inappropriate behavior. Between work and personal, I've had my fair share of experiences in the last few weeks. Let's start with work, though, because the personal ones are just...wow.

Inappropriate behavior #1: Sticking out your tongue at the presenter during a class

Seriously? Yes. I'm just sad I missed it, although I would probably have been a big, fat B to the kid by calling him out and treating him like a kid. So, my department and 2 others spent 4 days presenting to 1600 students--college freshmen to be exact--on our departments' services. 20 classes. 1600 college freshmen. 4 days. Yeah, talk about burnout. I was smart enough to "delegate" a day to one of my employees while I took a "mental health day" off work. So, she's the lucky one who witnessed a college freshman stick out his tongue at one of my colleagues while she was presenting to the group. Seriously? Inappropriate.

Inappropriate behavior #2: Taking pictures of people during a presentation

I don't know if this is more inappropriate or just plain oogie. Tuesday, as I was presenting the ins and outs of an assignment to an art history survey class, this kid was straight up taking a picture of me. No, I'm not egotistical. Yes, I'm certain the picture was of me. He was holding his phone up in front of his face, not texting or reading anything. He was pointing the phone at me. Then, he pushed a button and put his phone down. So yes, I think he was taking a picture of me. First, that's just weird. And oogie. Second, a little subtlety would've been appreciated. Good gravy, when I snap camera phone pics of things I shouldn't, at least I have the wherewithal to be sly about it. Actually, my friend Joseph showed me how to take pics on my phone by holding it up to my ear and pretending to talk to someone. It works--you should try it some time. But still. Ick. This was some 18yo freshman, I'm sure. Just....ewwwww. Inappropriate.

Inappropriate behavior #3: Sending mean emails to staff

Where did manners go? I mean, seriously, are they still stuck back in 1999 because that's what it feels like. One morning last, after explaining to a student why his appointment had been canceled (dude, you're 19 minutes late to a 30 minute appointment, but whatever), giving him a card with our phone number to call in the future if he thinks he'll be late, AND reinstating his account because he'd already missed a few appointments before, this student felt he needed to voice his frustration by emailing one of my employees. Fine. But seriously? Are ALL CAPS necessary? (Let's not even talk about the grammatical errors in it...) I'm fine with someone voicing concerns, but I draw the line when the tone is ugly. And I'm completely over it when the response to my email calling him out on his inappropriate behavior--and I actually used the word "inappropriate" in the email--was an "oh, I mixed up the names, that was for you." Seriously? .... Seriously? Sending emails that call out people IN ALL CAPS just ain't gonna fly in my world. Inappropriate.

Moving on to the personal ones...

Inappropriate behavior #4: Flirting with your babydaddy over the phone in front of your husband

Yes. I'm serious as a rake in the head. So, the boy's babymama, or better yet babymamadrama (BMD for short), got in trouble with her husband a few weeks ago for flirting with the boy. Oddly, I'm not jealous (and if you know me, this is MAJOR because I'm normally the jealous type). Instead, I'm amused. And I just sit back and eat my popcorn while it all happens. Apparently, she tells him that her husband called her out for flirting. Lines like, "we get each other's humor" and "I just feel so comfortable talking to you" and other such things--all in the same conversation--just ain't gonna fly for the husband since those lines weren't directed at him. The boy tells her that what she's saying is inappropriate considering the facts that they're not together, she's married, and he's with me. She missed that memo. So the next time they talk, BMD tells the boy about her husband not liking her flirting with the boy...and then starts flirting yet again! Seriously? So, in the words of the boy, he just says to her: "Inappropriate!" Amusing, yes. But still. Inappropriate.

Inappropriate behavior #5: Calling your babydaddy girlfriend

Boy howdy at the popcorn-worthy drama. Let me preface by saying I wouldn't ordinarily have a problem with BMD calling me. However, when BMD picks a fight with the boy and gets nowhere with him, it's completely and totally inappropriate to call ME to try to power play ME through passive aggressiveness (on voicemail of course) in an effort to power play her babydaddy. First, when did I become part of the parental equation? Oh wait, that's right. I'm not. Second, when did I agree to be mediator between the two? Oh wait, that's right. I didn't. Third, when did it become acceptable to call me when he didn't answer her (repeatedly ignored) calls? Oh wait, that's right. It never did. So yeah. Inappropriate.

Wow. It sounds like I have a chip on my shoulder and am all cranky about some of this stuff. Rest assured I'm not. I laugh at them--mostly--and chalk it up to inappropriate behavior.

But you know, the more I think about it, I'm starting to think it's not inappropriate behavior as much as it is just flat out immature behavior in these situations.

Inappropriate behavior often seems to fit right along with immaturity.

Or so it seems.

Or is that just me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home