Blackwater Writing Project

January 12, 2010

bandwagons bandwagons... hmmm

Interestingly, I try to make it a habit of tucking and rolling for that quick exit when I realize I've found myself on a bandwagon. I'm even better at not getting on them at all. Smoking? No, thanks. Twilight? No, gracias. Now granted my reasons for not smoking (anything) are very good, I wonder why I have an aversion to other bandwagony activities. As a purely personal etymological exploration, I'd have to say bandwagons sound pretty fun. They're traveling troubadours. The concept of music and fun on the go. Why wouldn't I want to do that? Am I a party-pooper?

I guess it's because I'm a very contrary person. Not the most appealing quality in a person, but true nonetheless. But I wonder if there is something in our genetic background that makes us want to be in the group. Thousands of years ago, ostracism surely meant death for an individual. Right? We needed each other so much more long long ago. Since we can now order food, clothing and anything else we need off the internet, not to mention work and go to school online, our need for personal interaction has greatly diminished. So I see bandwagons as becoming our new version of tribes. You're in the Da Vinci tribe? Ooooh! So am I. Let's gush about it. (OK, I'm not, but you get the idea).

Although the implication that Donna might be covertly abusing herself by jumping on the coldwagon doesn't seem to ring true.


2 Comments:

  • Hmm, a covert abuser . . . that's intriguing. Yeah, like you, I don't like to be part of the crowd. In fact, I don't like crowds, but there are some things I'll brave them for. Mostly, though, I crave solitude more than groups. I need to recharge to face people. Today it was hard to be engaged for my students. I just wanted to go to bed. I'm sure they could tell. Heck, I probably told them.

    Anyway, thanks for sharing. Write Night is becoming Write Day, which is kind of fun for me.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 1:30 PM  

  • I love your vision of the traveling troubadours, music, and fun! If only all bandwagons could be like that. Unfortunately, the band-wagons (or vans) I've been in are rather smelly places filled with the strange and varied odors of 5 sweaty men traveling around the country.

    By Blogger Mrs. Dyess, at 6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home