Blackwater Writing Project

July 01, 2009

Looking ahead...

Looking ahead…

The strategies and ideas that have accumulated over the past few weeks make me excited about returning to my classroom. One thing I am most excited about is developing a Social Studies unit to use with our 3rd grade curriculum. Before beginning Blackwater, I had some ideas spinning around on how to approach planning and preparing for such a time-consuming process. My idea was to create the curriculum into a “trip” we would all start on the first day of S.S. instruction. We will arrive by train, car, plane, whatever form of transportation to get to our destination. At our destination, the students will receive a CSI Case to solve (thanks Susan for this great idea), and this case will form the basis for instruction. I think I can pull up pictures of particular places on the smartboard so we can take pictures at our stops and create a travel scrapbook. The kids will also have passports since we study about Greece. Major U.S. Rivers is something we study in 3rd grade, and I think it will have a greater impact if I can tie a river into a person we study instead of in isolation. The one thing I really need to work on collecting for this venture is artifacts. Brian and Susan, any ideas/websites? Oh, and I can’t forget writing. My plan is for students to keep a daily log of the events and people they encounter on their trip. This creates an artifact for them to hold onto and return to at a later time.

That’s all I have for now…

2 Comments:

  • Kristin,
    I think that is a great idea! You are going to be a wonderful third grade teacher. Your innovative ideas and fresh outlook is what third grade needs!!

    By Blogger Ms. Gregory, at 9:06 PM  

  • you can write to the state tourist agency and have them put you in touch with the state agencies with jurisdiction over the rivers you study.. they should be able to send you some pamphlets, etc for those rivers... Also, check into the school systems near those rivers and see if there is a class that you can send letters to or even email with questions about "what is it like" "what have you done on the river, etc" I personally have lived on the Mississippi in two different places and have memories I can share... The year the Mississippi River flooded over its banks when my son was small,what it looks like during the winter, etc. The town of Chester, Ill (where I lived) is right on the river and has a bridge that spans that river over to Missouri... Chester is also the home of the creator of "Popeye" and there is a statue of Popeye right before you get onto the bridge from the Illinois side.. It is also the place where the Kohokia (spelling) Indians had a huge settlement before being flooded out by the river..
    Hope these help... let me know if you need more help... my email is susantucker@mchsi.com

    By Blogger Susan, at 10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home