Blackwater Writing Project

July 01, 2009

Looking Ahead

There are a lot of things that are on my horizon.  One thing that I am most looking forward to now that the ISI is almost over is some time to clean the house before I leave for New York on Monday.  I know that it sounds strange that I would be looking forward to doing that, but considering that I am totally OCD and my house looks like a tornado ripped through it, it irritates me to no end that my house would be so messy.  Last weekend I cleaned the bathtub.  I revel in a clean bathtub.  There is something about it; I love me a clean tub.  (On a side note, I also love buying cleaning supplies even if I don't necessarily use them.)  But I can't stand to do it.  One reason why is because it aggravates my allergies.  I know; excuses, excuses.  But really, I do have a doctor's note.  The main things I'm allergic to are dust mites, mold, cats, dogs, trees, and grass.  So, when I do have to do house work, I usually end up feeling sick.  When I grow up, I think I'll have a maid.  :)  But first I need to get my house in order.  I would be too embarrassed to have someone come in at this point.    

I still need to mail Kayse and Baby Ari the books that I bought.  Kayse is now eight months pregnant.  I look forward to meeting Ari in August.  

I, despite my initial disappointment, am looking forward to the 2009-10 school year at Pine Grove.  One thing that I love about being a co-director is that I get to go through the ISI every year, and I go back into my classroom rejuvenated and excited.  I wonder how many teachers feel that way.  (Well, I can think of at least 16 people in this room.)  In some ways, I feel like I'm selfish because I get to experience the ISI every year, but I guess it's not because every year I share this experience with fifteen new teachers.  And an amazing life-changing and career-changing experience it is.  I have only great things to say about Blackwater and Dr.  Donna Sewell.     

I would not be going to New York for the Holocaust Seminar if it were not for Donna.  I would not be on the Literacy Task Force at the Georgia Department of Education if it were not for Donna.  I would not be as far along in my Master's in English if it were not for Donna.  I don't think that I would have the confidence that I have, both personal and professional, if it were not for Donna.  (I don't know if she really wants to take credit for that one.  j/k)    Maybe I need to write an Ode to Donna.  :)  

My connection to Donna goes back now over ten years.  If I remember correctly, I first met her at a junior when she taught me ENG 307.  That would have been Spring of 1997.  Then I went through the ISI in 2007.  What was purely a teacher-student relationship has evolved into a friendship for me, so much so that if and when I run off to get married, Donna and Wes will be on the short list of guests.  (Lindsi, Ben, and Anna included as well, of course.)  

At the risk of sounding cliche, I feel like we are family.  And I feel blessed that I have 15 people added to my family every year.                   

1 Comments:

  • I tried really hard not to cry when you read this, but as soon as Wes and I were both at home, it was the first thing I told him about my day. One of the things I love about my life is that I have friends all over the country now, former VSU tutors who are now professors and teachers and Writing Center directors and grad students here and elsewhere. I love our leadership team, and I know that our lives may prompt a change sooner or later, but I dread that change. As a team, we have it going on, but I also know that many of this year's participants could step into co-director shoes if needed, and the team would be different, but it would grow and stretch in different ways, and BWP would continue to improve. But seriously, you both can't leave me the same year. Seriously.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home