Blackwater Writing Project

July 01, 2009

Looking Ahead

Looking ahead is often better than looking behind. The most obvious reason is that you may not like how your behind looks. Of course there's always realizing things you've done were not the smartest things in the world--so stop looking at your behind, and be polite and stop looking at others' behinds; no one's perfect.
Looking ahead means you don't have to look at yourself, which is a good idea. No one will ever be as hard on you as you are yourself. Looking ahead also means the chance to look past other people to see where they are going if you need some advice.

Fall semester is the biggest roadblock I see when I look ahead. Yea, an entire semester. I'm taking two classes, I'm teaching two classes, starting on my thesis, and trying to squeeze in a little time for fun. Looking behind all I see is BWP at the moment. I'm not nearly as nervous about teaching as I was a few weeks ago (was it only 3 1/2?), but now I have a new fear... apparently I say "um," and "like" a lot when I'm nervous. Sad because I know they're horrible fillers but I had no idea I was even saying them. I'm far more articulate in writing. Comes from writing hundreds of pages. But, good news is now I'm aware so I can be more deliberate in my speech. I hope.

4 Comments:

  • I remember being told how much I use "um" my first time giving a speech in a graduate English class. Apparently, it was my most frequent word. It's a hard habit to break, but there are far worse habits to have, and once you're aware of it, it's easier to get rid of it.

    Good luck with your class (or classes?) in the fall. Let me know if I can help.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 9:01 AM  

  • Teaching is absolutely fabulous, and once you get comfortable in your role, you will be great. Remember, the students don't know anything about you, so you can be whomever you choose with them.

    By Blogger Mary Poppins, at 9:06 AM  

  • I know you will do a wonderful job at whatever you seek to do. Thank you for such a great institute and for your insite and perspective!

    By Blogger The Man, at 9:10 AM  

  • I found out I say "um" a lot more around this group of fabulously intelligent people than I do around my students or friends of lesser intelligence =) You guys intimidate me, but it's ok because now I know to work on it myself. You've got a lot going on this semester, but I'm sure you'll be fabulous!

    By Blogger Mrs. Dyess, at 9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home