Blackwater Writing Project

July 01, 2009

Will I always teach PreK?

I really enjoy teaching pre-K. I feel that it is very important to students have an excellent first experience with school. I also know, without being conceited, that I am really good with the four-year-old students. I am good at bringing things down to their level and explaining it in a way that they will understand. However, sometimes I feel that I need to teach older kids. I have so many strategies and ideas in my head that I want to use, and I just can’t use a lot of them with my young students. It can be so frustrating to have so many ideas in my head and not be able to actually use them. I wonder how long I will teach pre-K. I know chances are that I will not always teach pre-K. I am slightly amused by the teachers that have taught nearly every grade level. I can’t help but think how frustrating and exciting it must be at the end of the year to know that you are changing grade levels. I have worked so hard to get my pre-K classroom just how I like it, and I would totally stress out if I had to think of another grade levels organization and standards.
Is it good for teachers to try different grade levels? Should a teacher change grade levels if she is happy where she is or just stay? There are so many thoughts to ponder when it comes to this situation.
Where will I be next year?
5 years from now?
There is no telling. The only thing I know is that I hope and pray that I still have the health, ability, and willingness to be an awesome teacher that has an impact on my students’ lives.

5 Comments:

  • Jennifer, I think you are an amazing teacher and will be fantastic at any level. I do think that you have too many good ideas and strategies to stay in Pre-k, but it could be that I just try to encourage everyone to join the dark side and teach middle grades =)

    By Blogger Mrs. Dyess, at 9:06 AM  

  • I know exactly how you feel. Teaching first grade I would sometimes find myself wishing I could do more with them. However, I knew I would never want to leave first grade. Well, there I was last year asking to move to 3rd grade. Eventually, you will know when and where you want to move. It could happen next year. It is very frustrating moving to a new grade when you have the other grade figured out, but I am so excited about planning for 3rd. You just get tired of doing the same things year after year. It is always nice to have a change.

    By Blogger ktatum, at 9:08 AM  

  • Okay, I love the change. I've taught 9th, 10th, college, back to 9th, and now back to college. I think a good teacher goes where she is needed. Also, as your life changes, your career goals change. Now, my main focus is my children, so I choose the job that fits that need. I know that I, just like you, have a lot to offer students at any level. I allow God to show me the road He wants me to follow, and so far, He has known exactly where I needed to be.

    By Blogger Mary Poppins, at 9:11 AM  

  • I bet you're an excellent Pre-K teacher, but I bet you would be good at any grade level. I think good teachers can adjust. You would freak out because you're organized and organizing for a new grade would be stressful, and the second year would be better than the first. But I bet most good teachers make adjustments every time they teach because they always see ways to improve. No growth is death.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 9:13 AM  

  • I wish my son had a pre-k teacher as good as you. As for moving, you will know when the time is right. Moving has a good result. It allows you to expereince a rage of educational levels. I felt the same way when they asked me to teach economics. A teacher with the talent that you have will be successful at anything to seek to accomplish!

    By Blogger The Man, at 9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home