Blackwater Writing Project

June 29, 2009

Whatever happened to a clean house?

Oh cottage,
why do you betray me,
revealing my clutter,
my lack of time,
my refusal to straighten you?

Once you boasted clean lines,
a dust-free zone,
greeting me with Pine Sol scent,
prompting a smile when I entered.

Last night I saw messy blankets,
unemptied trash bags,
wrinkled clothes awaiting a hot iron,
dishes resting in the sink,
and tears threatened.

I miss your clean version,
the polished version,
not the messy rough draft
with no clear message.
I need an editor for my house.

Your unswept, unmopped floors
embarrass me.
Dust settles everywhere,
and I long for someone else to visit,
someone armed with Pine Sol,
Pledge,
scrubbing bubbles,
bubbles that will clean all,
rinsing away proof of my neglect,
making me love you again.

Fairy Godmother,
I'm waiting;
I have the prince,
the carriage,
the ball gown.
I want the clean house.

5 Comments:

  • As soon as you find this person, please send them my way. We are very seldom home, and just this morning I realized a small mountain range was forming near our laundry room. But I am too busy to climb mountains!

    By Blogger The Man, at 9:05 AM  

  • I love that you want an editor for your house! haha I get the sense that several people are stressed out this morning...which in a weird way makes me feel better! Because I feel stressed out myself!
    Brian, after you finish with Donna's house cleaning editor/fairy, send them my way! :)

    By Blogger Jennifer Swain, at 9:07 AM  

  • I am so with you on your wish for a fairy godmother...Heck, I don't even care if she is very good or in training! I just want to be cloned!
    does it say something about us that we long for the time to clean the bathroom?? Whatzup with that???

    By Blogger Susan, at 9:09 AM  

  • Whenever you find your fairy godmother, send her my way!

    By Blogger Mary Poppins, at 9:15 AM  

  • I miss your clean version,
    the polished version,
    not the messy rough draft
    with no clear message.
    I need an editor for my house.

    I love these lines. You can have an editor for your house; I need an editor for my life.

    By Blogger Darcy, at 3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home