Blackwater Writing Project

June 26, 2009

Reality

Reality

When I think of reality, I automatically think of all the reality shows that tell us how empty and mundane our real lives are compared to the ones we view nightly with rapture, amazement, and a bit of jealously. Baldwin left the Celebrity show because of 125 bug bites. What a wush. And what about those real housewives? I don’t know about you but I’ve been “house-wifing” a long time and never had experiences like they do. John & Kate and their 8 will continue their “gig” long after the divorce.  Let’s not forget the pioneer of reality – Maury and who’s your baby. And then there’s my life.

DUH, what can I say? I get up early, study and work all day, come home, my tail dragging, to flop down for a quick “senior rest”, then up to do more of the same. My nights are filled with phone calls, online teaching and grading and trying to keep the place free from condemnation by the health department.  My stolen free moments are watching a Law and Order episode and reading a book. I can spend at least an hour nightly, laying in bed, devouring Literary Potato Chips. However, it was not always like this.

There was a time in my life that I could travel the world and not have to worry about costs, schedules, or things “normal” people did. I delivered babies on the weekends. I cooked, sewed, volunteered, worked, and helped take care of the needy wherever they could be found. I was a wife, lover, mother, friend, confidant, and so much more. Hey, I was Super Woman disguised as a busy person, living life to its fullest.

I remember having two New Years, jetting across the International Date Line, returning from Switzerland. Oh yes, this is the time Michele jumped out of the car, singing the Hills are Alive with the Sound of Music. Going to Brussels? Amsterdam? Not a problem – here are some good places to go. Monet showing in Italy? Great, let’s take Michele – she loves Monet. And what’s the deal with Mona Lisa? She’s so much smaller than I had imagined.

One year I was taking a course in multiculturalism. I needed to experience a different culture, like living in Minnesota is NOT different for me!!  Not a problem – the Poor Man’s Market in Hong Kong is great for that.  Training needed in Japan? Here I go, with Bunny Foo-Foo in tow.

India, Russia, Israel, Venezuela, Panama, Belize, Mexico, England, France, and all the other places sometimes blur together. Places, people, cites – all seem to converge as I begin to think of the artifacts gathered at each place.

I’m left wondering what is reality? Is it now? Was it then? Maybe it’s today, and only this day that is reality.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home