Blackwater Writing Project

June 26, 2009

Oops!

I think that I commit a plethora of oops on a daily basis.  By their very nature, oopses (Would that be the plus of "oops"?  Does oops even need to be made into a plural?  Such deep thoughts for 8:35 in the morning.) imply that you did not mean to commit them.  But I would argue that you can, if fact, commit oopses intentionally.  

Some oops are more flagrant than others, like when you accidentally run a red light.  Really.  I did that once.  I wasn't as lucky as a friend of mine who didn't get a ticket.  I did.  But on the plus side, I also didn't get creamed by oncoming traffic.  

Other oops just show your stupidity, like on picture day when I sprayed hair spray into my damp hair thinking it was leave-in conditioner.  Darn you Aveda and your spray bottles that always seem to clog.  Then again, I guess I could have labeled the bottle.   

"My stupid mouth" to quote the great philosopher John Mayer, have been responsible for its share of oopses.  I realized that I might have offended some people with what I said about the student video yesterday.  I don't regret what I said; I just don't think that I supported what I said very well.  (I'm probably going to dig a deeper hole here.)  When I was blow drying my hair this morning (I do some of my best thinking as I am straightening my hair), I thought some more about what had bothered me.  One thing that I realized was that private schools, because they are allowed to admit or exclude whomever they choose, also might not have to follow the same rules that public schools do?  Then I wondered if that was the case, would he have been better served in a public school?  Another thing that had bothered me was that when the papers were returned to the students, they were returned face up and with huge letter grades.  I realize that this was from the perspective of the student, and things might have been dramatized, but that bothered me as well.  I wanted to ask, "Is that how your teacher really marks and gives back your papers?"  If so, I could see how having a learning disability would be exacerbated in that environment.  (Alison- I know you never thought I would think so much about that video.) Anyway, if I offended anyone, I apologize.  

I want to leave on a lighter note.  I'm trying to think of a stupid thing that I've done recently.  Surprisingly, it took less than a minute to think of something.  First I have to set it up.  Back in March, I took my truck to a car dealership that shall remain nameless for an oil change.  They did not put the oil plug in correctly and as I drove home, like Hansel and Gretel (They're the ones who left crumbs, right?), I left a trail of where I had been.  But with oil.  I returned recently to get another oil change.  I know you're thinking, Why would you go back?  Well, they are the only dealer of this type of vehicle in town.  And they have a service record for my truck dating back to 2005. 

So, I get out of my truck at Movie  Gallery and notice liquid leaking underneath my truck.  I'm ticked.  So, I drive home and park on the street because the oil stains are just starting to fade. (I totally skipped that part; they also had to send someone to scrub down our driveway.)  Anyway, I call the dealership and tell them my predicament.  They send a guy out because I refuse to drive it in.  The guy tells me, "It's just from your air conditioner.  If it were an oil leak it'd be on the other side."  I disagree and show him my evidence.  "She that there, that is from an oil leak and it's on the same side."  He laughs at me and assures me again that the liquid is coming from my air conditioner.  I imagine they'll charge me for it the next time I come in.  

Did I tell you about the time my backwindshield wiper didn't work, and I paid $35 to find out my window was down?  Oops!                 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home