Blackwater Writing Project

June 26, 2009

Oops!

OOPS!

I remember being so excited when I got my cocker spaniel, Romeo. He was so adorable with his long floppy ears and wavy buff colored hair. His eyes looked like two almonds with long eyelashes all the way around them. I loved him the first time I saw him. He was just 6 weeks old when I bought him from a kennel in Savannah. He looked like he was the shy one out of his brothers. That’s why I picked him. I thought our personalities would match. But I soon learned that he was not in the least bit shy!
He cried the entire way home. I felt so sorry for him. Once we got to my apartment in Waycross, he sniffed around—and then “went potty” on my carpet. Oh no! So I lightly tapped him and he started squealing like a human baby. I felt so bad for spanking him. I soon learned to just take him to the spot, say, “No, no” and then sit him by the door. He was trained in a couple of months with a few accidents here and there.
But my oops moment came one Saturday afternoon. I decided that I wanted to go visit my family in Hahira. So I packed up my stuff and put Romeo in the car. But I forgot something, so I needed to go back inside to get it. But I thought it would be awful to leave Rome in the car with the windows rolled up. I was afraid he might hit the gear shift and start driving off if I left the car on with the air conditioner running. So I rolled the window down. All the way down. Now I understood the possibility of him jumping out, so I put his leash on him and tied the other end of his leash to the door handle. Problem solved. I went back inside and when I came out I didn’t see Romeo in the car. I panicked. I ran down the stairs and once I got to the car I saw Romeo dangling from the car door. He tried to jump out but because the leash was tied to the door handle he just hung there, clawing and scratching trying to pull himself back up. Poor Romeo….all I could say was Oops, I’m sorry!
Having a dog is a great way to entertain yourself; they provide you with opportunities for a lot of Oops moments. Romeo has entertained me immensely over the past 8 years. He’s chased babies, caused me to break my front two teeth, been attacked by a cat, been kicked out of a vet office. You name it; Romeo has a story for it. I don’t remember a time ever being bored with Romeo. We have kind of morphed into similar beings. When I get home the first thing I do is let him out. Then I get in my recliner and he gets on his sofa and we both take a nap. Then we get up and eat something. He begs for my food. Yes, I give in and give him some. At bedtime, he knows what to do. He gets in his bed and I get in mine. Too bad he doesn’t talk. But the looks he gives me usually say it all. If I ignore his looks for too long, he barks. Loudy. Just once. If I ignore that he will do it again. He’s a clever fellow. Sometimes I think that having a dog is troublesome, but if I have to leave him at the vet overnight things just don’t feel right. His presence is definitely missed. I don’t every see myself without him.

1 Comments:

  • What would we do without our pets to give us the unconditional love we need?

    By Blogger Susan, at 9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home