Blackwater Writing Project

June 26, 2009

Oops!

I guess I can blame it on the fact that I am a guy, but I have had my share of oops moments. Moments where my brain shut down temporarily and I had a complete laps in judgment. I think my grandest oops and most expensive oops came when I first started driving tractors when I was about 11. We had several large John Deere tractors and during the summer, all of them needed someone to drive them. It was an awesome experience driving a tractor. What I loved even more was fueling up the tractors. We had a large fueling tank that had a hose similar to the ones you use at a convenience store, and a pump handle to pump the diesel into the tractor. We typically all fueled up at the same time each day, but I wanted to be a big boy and fuel my tractor up by myself. So I get to the fueling tank, but I am not tall enough to reach the pump handle. So I look around, and I see a smaller hose, more on my level, and it is long enough to reach the tractor. So I go to town pumping my tractor full of fuel. I jump back into the seat, proud of my accomplishment, and I head for the back field. All of a sudden I hear the engine start to make a very unusual grinding noise. Then the grinding turns into a framing, and then into a very loud, smokey, beating sound. I turn off the engine, and I radio for help. I will leave out the next part because; let’s just say papa was not too happy with me. Come to find out, the small hose that was on my level, it was a black water hose. I had filled the tank up with water and I blew up a $90,000 John Deere tractor. Talk about an Oops moment. It is good thing I was the only male child, the only one to carry on the family name, because I think that was the only thing that kept them from killing me that day.

4 Comments:

  • You'll have to read this one today during sharing. It's pretty funny.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 9:02 AM  

  • We had a fueling station at my grandaddy's farm too. One day my cousin filled the combine with unleaded instead of diesel. You can only imagine (or from your experience, you might can visualize!) my Grandaddy's reaction.

    By Blogger blindsi, at 9:12 AM  

  • I wanted to run and hide FOR you after reading this. Hopefully they had insurance that covered ignorance. :-) What did happen to you? I bet they worked your butt off on the farm after that.

    By Blogger Jules, at 9:12 AM  

  • Wow. Growing up in Illinois with plenty of farming families, I feel your loss. That must have been a tough day. My family lived down the road from a John Deer tractor store, so I saw those every morning. When we'd pass it each morning on the school bus we would talk about our favorite tractor. At that age, I just thought of them as fancy lawn mowers.

    By Blogger Heidi, at 9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home