Blackwater Writing Project

June 30, 2009

Things I carry....

Starting right here…right now
The baggage from the past
Gets routed to the unclaimed area
I do not want it anymore.
Therefore, I will not claim it.
It weighs me down…
Diverts me from my purpose
On this trip called life.
At one time, my baggage
items seemed so important.
Today, those relics from the past
I no longer want nor have a use for.
Therefore, they are sent to
The special place reserved only for
Unneeded baggage such as mine
Lighter than before and unfamiliar with
The freedom of unwanted baggage,
I step onto the escalator of life
Not knowing where it will take me but
Knowing that it will move whether or not
I am in step.
Apprehensive, yet excited… I begin
The next stage of my journey.

3 Comments:

  • I like this Susan! The "escalator of life" is great.

    By Blogger blindsi, at 9:01 AM  

  • I love that you are leaving things behind. We all carry so much with us, and I'm not quite strong enough yet to leave mine behind.

    By Blogger Mary Poppins, at 9:04 AM  

  • Great poem. I think it fit really well together. It made me think of an airport since you used baggage and escalator in it. Perhaps you are leaving the airport that is your life. Really, that made no sense to me. Oh well, great poem.

    By Blogger ktatum, at 9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home