Blackwater Writing Project

June 29, 2009

What ever happened to....

What ever happened to stirrup pants! I loved those pants. I would wear them now if I could find a pair. You could wear them with any kind of shoe and almost any kind of top. When they first came out they were just black, but then all sorts of brilliant colors came about. I had a pair of turquoise stirrup pants. I like wearing colors that make me stand out in the crowd! J I think I got those pants when I was in the 7th grade. The only thing bad about stirrup pants was that you couldn’t wear them in the summer time. Not in south Georgia. But I didn’t really care that it was 100 degrees outside, I wore my stirrups anyway. Can you imagine me at P.E. in my stirrup pants? We had to dress out in middle school, so it was okay. The walk home however was murder. But I played it off pretty good. Of course I couldn’t let anyone know just how hot I was in those things. In the 80s it was all about image.
The 80s styles were the best. My favorite hair accessory—banana clips. I wore one everyday. I had all sorts of colors. And to make them even more intriguing I placed them in a different position everyday. Some days I wore it to the side. Some days I wore in the back. Some days I pulled it high up on top of my head. The possibilities were endless! The longer the hair was, the better the result. Therefore, long hair was a must in the 80s. My 80s idol, Holly Robinson (Peete) wore stirrup pants and banana clips!! Anybody remember 21 Jump Street?
To put the icing on my stirrup pants, banana clip style, I had to go out and buy these metal clips that you put in the front of your hair to create waves. You could sleep with these in your hair or simply walk around the house waiting for the desired wave intensity. I opted for both. So my banana clip had 75% of my hair in it, while half of the top was curled to one side with waves. I looked just like Holly!
I don’t know what ever happened to that style because it was so fabulous. I’m waiting for it to come back so that I can once again relive the 80s fashions. Everyone seems to want to relive the 60s and 70s style, but noone remembers the big poofy dresses of the 80s. Am I the only one that went crazy over color mascara?? Who says that eyelashes can’t be blue? And your eyelids can even be blue too…..if you’re an 80s child!
All those crazy 80s movies showed us what 80s fashion was truly about. Pretty In Pink, Ferris Beuller’s Day Off, Risky Business. For some reason, I think that my life would have been deprived if I had not seen Ferris Beuller’s Day Off.
Stone washed jeans were a staple in the 80s. But, stone washed jeans were not like stirrups. A pair wouldn’t do! All of your jeans had to be some version of stone washed or they simply could not be worn. The variation of stoniness was vast in the 80s. So, all of the stone washed jeans did not look alike. And whoever decided to make stone washed jean skirts was a pure genius! This took things to another level. This is where wearing two pair of socks at the same time came into play. Blue top, stone washed jeans skirt, pair of white socks on top of a pair of blue socks, with white shoes. Too cute! Don’t forget the previously mentioned hair. On this day I would be wearing a blue banana clip.
Oh the 80s. I wish that I could go back and relieve the brilliance of L.L. Cool J., New Edition, Cindy Lauper, Prince and of course Michael Jackson. Kids of today can hope that they can experience this kind of utopia in their lifetime!!

3 Comments:

  • Oh girl, you take me back. I loved the clothes and music you mentioned. I spent Sunday evenings with 21 Jump Street.

    By Blogger Mary Poppins, at 9:18 AM  

  • I used to love me some stirrup pants!!! Do you remember those Expedition shirts that everybody wore? They came from the Body Shop in the mall and apparently the money went to save the particular animal you had on your shirt. I used to love to wear thos with my stirrup pants.!

    By Blogger Jennifer Swain, at 9:23 AM  

  • 21 Jump Street is the reason Johnny Depp is one of my boyfriends! We should have had 80s day in the ISI. Everyone wear their favorite 80s clothes. Yep, I could have crinked my hair and worn it in a ponytail on the side with a big sweater and stirrup pants and a Members Only jacket.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home