Blackwater Writing Project

October 22, 2007

Children's Lit

Hmm, I'm not sure what I've learned from children's literature, but I still enjoy reading it. At Books-A-Million the other day, I almost bought _Al Capone Does My Shirts_ (I think that's the title) because Pat read us an excerpt two summers ago in the ISI. The book intrigued me. I also bought the Mrs. Larue series by Mark Teague (I think the name is right) because of a presentation by Kimberly two years ago. Those books are great examples of multi-genre texts; plus, they're just fun to read. I bought one for my niece for Christmas this year.

I loved reading Curious George books, and I still Amelia Bedelia, probably for the word play. Perhaps that's where my love of language comes from. I don't remember reading lots of young kid books, such as Dr. Seuss books and the Bernstein bears. They just didn't thrill me--still don't.

I remember the Judy Blume books and other authors for the pre-teen years--the series books: Bobbsey twins, Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, etc. But I think I moved through those pretty quickly, graduating to whatever was in the house. Thus, I read Harlequin romances and bodice-ripper historical romances, and military novels (particularly a series that featured Mack Bolan, Executioner). I read my mom's novels, my dad's novels, my brother's novels. I devoured teen mags, but I rarely could afford them. Anyone remember Leif Garrett and Donny Osmond as a young'un? Occasionally, my sister and I would walk to the drug store to buy _Tiger Beat_ but not often. Fun memories!

I know that I played Life and Monopoly growing up. We also played Trouble, Parcheesi, Chinese Checkers, etc. We colored, played cards--particularly rummy. I still like to play spades and poker, but I have to keep a cheat sheet for poker because I don't remember what beats what. I still think a full house should be worth more than it is.

The stuff I remember playing more, though, is the games we made up. We recreated television shows, playing _Gilligan's Island_ for example, making up our own adventures.Or we raked leaves into house plans, each one getting our own house and going to visit each other. Ooh, and remember building forts and playing in those? Fun, fun, fun.

The harder part of Katie's prompt is the lessons learned. I don't know. I learned how to play with others, how to compromise, how to negotiate. I learned that I don't always get my way. I learned to share. I learned that I could pout and spend time alone or I could get over myself and join others.

I probably learned much of the stuff I need to know to be happily married--although Wes probably doesn't think I share or compromise that well. But I don't really think about it as learning anything. I played. That's still the best way I learn--through play. That's why I love the ISI so much. I challenge myself as a writer, thinker, reader, editor, grant writer, but I do it within a community of playful people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home