Blackwater Writing Project

July 19, 2007

Just hot...

HOT!HOT!HOT!
Understatement of the week. I didn’t notice the heat since I was indoors all day working on papers and then a nap. It wasn’t too bad when we left the house to come into town, but standing outside City market and waiting, then walking up there to catch others who didn’t know the change in plans, made it beyond hot. It was downright intolerable.

Arizona and California had been hot places too, and the temperatures got higher than the 97 here, but there really is a difference between hot and dry, and hot with humidity.

Donna was reading the weird news earlier, and some guy was entangled with a woman for 45 minutes, too hot to be tangling outside for any reason. But entanglement is a good word. You can have a web of things that are tangled and connected through the strangest of ways. That poor woman has had to defend herself and deny the entanglement, but can she really. Even if it was unwanted attention, she was entangled. I was more amazed at 45 minutes !!!

I keep wandering in my head back to the paper I have to finish by next week. I am glad that classes are almost over. I really need a break. I had no idea how hot this summer was because I am locked in my little corner of the world just working. Next Tuesday, I will be relaxing. Going to go to a friends and swim, just take a day off. I shall feel so guilty, but as long as I have my paper ready to submit I shouldn’t have that need.

Right now my hubby is at home working on the pool and yard and wasting away in the heat, melting like a popsicle. He has already mowed one yard, and is hot from heat and annoyance with his mother who is beginning to drive us nuts. Who knows what her problem is, I refuse to go over and try to find out. There is way too much going on in my life to play her stupid games, so if she wants to move again, go for it. All I know is, is that I am not moving her again. I was watching from the window and saw him going around and went to see if he needed a drink. He had a beer in one hand and was kicking up dirt and tiny pieces of grass clung to his ear and beard. The beer can was empty and was now just something to hold. I brought a new beer and before I even got across the yard it was sweating, rivulets of water running down the side, a whoosh and a pop and foam climbed out the hole. A small sip convinced me that it would feel good but the sweat pouring down a face would merge with the sweat on the can until it would no longer be distinguishable one from the other.

My oldest son is currently in Kuwait, and a grandson was born in the middle of June. I am eager to go see him, but we have to wait. By the time I get to go it will be the holidays I think. GRRRR. My son is feeling frustrated because he can’t see the little boy either. Blake is my grandson’s name and he is cute. But he still has days and nights mixed up. When I get to see him, I think I will need to have a letter that can be put in his baby book for when he gets older and he can see how much he was loved even though we can’t be there.

Sean is 16 now and almost ready to get his drivers license. Keeping cool when teaching someone to drive is not easy. Next week Robert will get his permit since it is his birthday on Saturday. All the driving and letting them go to friends or stay at the mall is scary. It reminds me that not too far from now I will not have children at home. If they have their way they will quite a way from home for school, on at the Air Force Academy if his dream comes true.

In here, in Wes’ studio it is cool and quiet. A rustle of paper and tapping of keys as we four sit comfortably writing of things the others cannot know until shared. Cars are rushing by outside, I wonder if they are trying to get out of the heat?

2 Comments:

  • That entanglement story really was News of the Weird. How did the rapist argue that with a straight face? Yikes!

    I love your descriptions of the cold beer can and the studio noise. Nice.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 9:02 PM  

  • Thanks for writing this.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home