Blackwater Writing Project

July 19, 2007

On Fire

I'm hot, not hot as in "I look good," but hot as in I need an air conditioning vent blowing directly on me. I rushed to Publix for beach groceries, mixed up the sauce for quesadillas, found out City Market was closed, scrambled for a new place to meet, threw snacks into a bag, and headed to the studio. The combination of July heat and stress doesn't relax me. Snacking on potato chips helps a little as does throwing words onto the page. Writing usually calms me. I wonder why. I wonder what the research says about that.

A UPS truck stops outside, waiting on the light to change. I look at the African American female driver with no door to shut. She must be miserable, I think. I'd rather be in here looking out than in her vehicle looking in.

I pause for another potato chip, wondering what to write.

Hot moments:
  • getting sunburned several years ago with Will
  • the jalopena jerk
  • our wedding reception
  • the wedding I helped Wes with

Here's the story . . .

Panic

Wes and I headed to a small country town one Friday night for a wedding. This couple had won free wedding photography from Wes, so he took me along as an extra photographer, and we planned to head to St. George Island immediately afterwards. We arrived at the house, a cute cottage with a pond, at 4:00 p.m. for the three-hour session.

"What do I do?" I asked Wes. nervously, unsure of my role, my photography skills, my social skills. He reviewed some photography techniques with me and let me practice. The bride wasn't ready yet, so we snapped some pictures of the setting and interacted with the children, one little girl and two younger boys, adorable children who were fascinated by our equipment. They loved looking at the pictures we took on the small screens.

When the bride appeared, we posed them and took pictures outside, but we couldn't take too many. Heat flooded us. Sweat beaded on the bride's forehead, so we returned inside, not wanting her make-up to ruin.

Nothing seemed to go right for the couple. People didn't arrive on time, and the groom's cake had melted into a bright, colorful blob. The bride and groom were really sweet, but catastrophes continued.

Finally, it was time for the wedding. Wes headed down to the dock where the wedding would occur. I stayed at the cabin to capture the bride walking out of the door.

She opened the door, and I took a few pictures. Then I realized she was trying to get my attention. "Yes?" I asked, staring up at her with my brow furrowed.

"What happens now?" she asked.

I stared at her, my mouth open. What does she mean what happens now? I wondered. The wedding happens!

"Who goes first?" she asked. "The flower girl or the ring bearers?"

Oh, God. I panicked, having attended very few weddings since my own. I'm only here because it's on the way to the beach, I thought. I turned and looked for Wes, who was very far away now with all the other people who were looking our way, ready for the procession to begin. Think, Donna, think. "Um, I think the ring bearers go first, or they can walk together--whatever you prefer." I smiled reassuringly, pretending to know the answers.

The bride smiled back, but she looked on the verge of tears. The flower girl disagreed. "No, I need to go first so that the boys can follow me," she insisted.

I smiled weakly. The little girl took off with the little tykes waddling behond her. They really were adorable.

The bride and I were left alone. Please let this be over soon, I thought.

The bride's face contorted, and I feared tears. "Will you walk down there with me?" she pleaded.

I froze, wondering how to answer. I yearned to go hide in the car and read a book until Wes finished, but she looked so scared. I didn't know how to answer. Blame it on the husband, I decided. "I would be glad to," I said, "but my husband will kill me if I get in any of your shots. You're the star here." I smiled brightly, faking confidence again. "You look beautiful," I added, thinking, Please, please, please be okay.

She sighed, squared her shoulders, and started toward the dock. I moved off to the side and snapped a few pictures, wondering which of us was more scared.

3 Comments:

  • I really like how you list things as possible sources to write about. I need to work on that strategy more, perhaps it will inspire my writing to go in a different direction.

    By Blogger Diana Chartier, at 9:12 PM  

  • By the way, the jalopeno jerk is Wes, but that's another story.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 12:55 PM  

  • I love how you inject your thoughts in this piece. I feel like I am right there with you.

    By Blogger Sheri, at 12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home