Blackwater Writing Project

June 22, 2007

Where's the question?

To spank or not to spank...I'm sorry, is this supposed to be a question?

There is clearly a difference in spanking and beating, and while beating should be reserved for rare occasions, spanking offers no moral dilemna for me whatsoever. Some parents seem so worried about their little one's feelings and self-esteem that they destroy their child's concept of reality, creating for them a world where she IS the little princess and she WILL get what she wants. Sorry Peanut, but it ain't happening.

Maybe it's the teacher in me, but I'm often struck with the desire to discipline other people's children. Outside of the classroom. Especially the child who is told no and then strikes her mother's hand. And Mommy says, "Sweetie, we don't hit."And her demon child is thinking, "No you don't hit. I'm quite comfortable with it." This is the time for a beating.

A little-gray haired lady at church once asked me if I knew the difference in discipline and abuse. When I said the degree of force used, she told me I was wrong. She said abuse was when you hit a child and didn't tell them why. Discipline was when you hit them, but then sat down and explained the reason for the punishment. Works for me.

2 Comments:

  • This made me laugh.

    I especially like "beating should be reserved for rare occasions" and "No, YOU don't hit. I'm quite comfortable with it."

    By Blogger Andrea, at 9:20 AM  

  • Well, the little gray-haired lady might be partly right, but what about the drunk who sits the kid down and says, "Mommy hit you b/c her head hurts and she's having a bad day. Now, GO TO YOUR ROOM!"

    By Blogger Kat, at 9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home