Blackwater Writing Project

June 21, 2007

On the List

The opera diva, Beverly Sills, was once asked, "Have you made any enemies along your road of success?" She replied, "More than I ever thought possible."
I haven't exactly been on a road to success. Mine has just been a road, but I still have made my share of enemies, for no particular reason.
One unusual thing I have discovered is that some people just don't like you. You may remind them of Aunt Sally who used to feed them prune juice or of some long lost cousin who owns them money. They simply do not like you. It doesn't seem to matter what you do, there is no way you are going to make them like you. For example, my cousin got married to the witch of the west, but I tried to keep an open mind. I walked in the room and she snarled at me. Later, I asked my Aunt what I did. "You remind her of her sister whom she hates."
People in the workplace sometimes hate you for something you didn't say. One woman at my school now hates me. She sends daggers my direction whenever she meets me in the hall. Why? She thought she heard me say one thing when I really said another. I tried to clear it up, but she still didn't believe me. So, what do you do? I know the other thing I can do is die or change schools and I'm not really ready to do either.
Strangers who are just in a bad mood hate you for some silly reason--the cashier who can't get the computer to work, the cashier who wants to go on a break and you dared to get in her line, the shopper who wants the same can of deodorant you do, the guy from Wal-Mart who doesn't want to pick up that heavy pool anymore than you do, the janitor who just cleaned that sink, the grumpy woman upstairs who thinks you were the one howling; the list goes on and on.
So, can you avoid being hated by a list of people from the time you are born to the time you die. I don't think so.

2 Comments:

  • I'm a list-maker, keeping lots of lists in my mind. Mrs. Persnickety definitely made the list yesterday, but today I'm amused by her actions--glad I'm me and not her, which is pretty much how it goes. Once I'm away from the episode a bit, I see the humor in the tangled panties, but when it happens I just don't understand why people want me to know about the state of their underwear.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 9:07 AM  

  • I just delude myself that no one could possible dislike me. HA!

    By Blogger Kat, at 9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home