Blackwater Writing Project

June 18, 2007

Kick Butt Guardina Angel

My family was never a Leave It to Beaver family which probably explains why I never grew up to be Martha Stewart or my cousin Sally. Dad was rarely home, but when he was, I was his shadow. One Saturday morning, he asked me if I wanted to go to Toccoa with him. Those invitations came few and far between--which I understand now that I am a parent. Toccoa was where Dad's office was. He sold milk, eggs, and even cheese, which he made himself. When I went with him, I always got into stuff, but this particular morning Dad didn't seem to mind.

As we came into the city limits, Daddy stopped to visit a friend who had a little girl about my age. Usually, I would always pick being with Daddy over other children, but not today. I remember the feeling that I had pulling there. Daddy thought it was strange, but left me and told me he would be back to get me around 5:00. He didn't come at 5:00, 6:00, or 7:00. Finally, the little girl went to bed and the parents put me in bed with her. I woke up screaming. In my dream I saw my Dad with a bloody face. An hour later, he appeared at the door with a bloody face. He had been in a terrible wreck. If I had been in the car, I would have been killed. My side was crushed. I wondered what kept me from being killed.

Twenty years later, I was driving down a curvy road between Helen and Cornelia, when I fell asleep. It was 2:00 in the morning and a friend and I had eatten dinner and watched several movies. I was already exhausted from work that week. So, without knowing it I fell asleep. When I woke up, I saw black boots infront of my headlights. I panicked and swearing, jarring awake. I waited to hear the sickening thud as I hit the tall man in the black leather pants and coat. He was an angry man, standing there in my headlights. I just knew I hit him.

I didn't hear anything. I looked back in the rearview mirror and nothing was there. When I got home, I called my friend and told him what had happened.

"Sounds like your guardian angel to me."
"What?" I said amazed. "I thought guardian angels were dressed in white and were sweet."
"No always,sometimes people need kick butt guardian angels. Yours was pissed off because you were being so stupid, he actually had to come down and bail you out."

So based on these two close calls in my life, I would have to agree that I probably am one of those people who relies on a kick butt guardian angel to keep them alive.

1 Comments:

  • I want a kick butt guardian angel. I think mine's too much like me and believes strongly in natural selection. She would let me die to teach others a lesson or at least get me right to the edge before saving me to make for a better story.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home