Blackwater Writing Project

June 15, 2007

I would rather . . .

I would rather go into the interview of my life with a bottom lip five times its original size than with greasy hair. If my bottom lip was five times its original size, it would probably look pretty normal being that my lips are pretty much nonexistent.

I have an issue with greasy hair. I have split personality hair; it is both baby fine and thick, so I wash it religiously everyday even though that supposedly strips your hair of natural oils. Trust me, I have more than enough to spare, so I wash on.

When I was little, I remember going to the grocery store and always wanting my mom to buy me shampoo. I was easily brainwashed by the rich executives that if I used a certain shampoo, my self-given uneven short haircut would magically become long and lux. When a shampoo didn't work, I didn't panic. There was always another one to to take its place.

My obsession with shampoo did not cease as an adult, and I still have to control myself while in the beauty section. I am not monogamous with shampoo; I currently have three 2-in-1 shampoo + conditioners, two separate shampoos and conditioners, and even one bottle of baby shampoo. (I read it's good for the baby fine hair.) They run the gamut from the sensible Suave to the astronomical Aveda. Name a shampoo brand, and I have probably used it.

It's pretty sad that I spend so much money on something that simply washes down the drain. What is even more sad is the fact that I spend even more just on hair products. I AM monogamous about product; Aveda is the only line that I use. In my extensive hair experience, I learned that you get with you pay for. Aveda is just worth the extra money, and I try to justify the extra money with the fact that they are environmentally friendly.

Why is it so much more expensive to be green? Any why is it that things that are good for you are always so much more expensive than the things that aren't? Case in point: organic food versus fast food. It is cheaper to be fat than to be skinny. What's up with that? And, to top it off, I have to pay to workout.

Back to the shampoo. Obviously, my shampoo obsession reflects my inherent superficiality. But I am Asian, so I do have to keep up appearances. It would be a travesty for an Asian not to have pretty hair.

1 Comments:

  • I laugh everytime I read your posts. And I always wait for the Asian comment. It always appears somewhere in there.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home