Blackwater Writing Project

November 12, 2011

Crossroads

Most of the time here lately, I don't even know where I am. I know everyone at times feels like they have a thousand and one things rolling through their mind, and I know all of you, so I know I'm preaching to the choir. However, I feel this is one of the most stressful times I've had in a long while. Not bad stress - good stress - but definitely stress. I love every last thing that is happening to me right now, am grateful, and honored, but my goodness did it all have to happen at the same time?

So here is where I am right now.

I am planning my wedding which will be in February - I choose to give myself 5 months to plan it. At this point I have figured out the place, the dress, the photographer (that was an easy one), and the food. Right now on my desktop, I have my guest list pulled up and am trying to finalize it so I can start addressing invitations. This reminds me, I have yet to get Matt’s guest list. He keeps just telling me he'll post an invite up at work. Really??? Just get me a list of names! I'm also looking up DJs and have a constant eye on Pinterest, Etsy, and the Knot for ideas. I've started moving my things over to Matt's a bit at a time so it's not all at once, so my things are strung out from one side of Hahira to the other. Then those things need to be organized and put away, because the week after Thanksgiving family is coming into town for my shower. However, there is no space for those things because Matt has to clean out his closets and drawers before I can start putting my stuff into them. I also need to find an seamstress to start my alterations and mend my mom's veil which I'm planning to use. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated... Then just the simple stress that I'm trying to get use to the idea of being Mrs. Ruffo - just the change in name thing is something to get use to. Along with thinking about all the paperwork to change my name, insurance, benefits, address... just not going to think about that right now.

Besides the wedding, I've got all the projects at school. I'm getting everything together for my teacher of the year application for the state (19 pages and growing). Did I mention that I'll find out in February if I'm a top 10 finalist? Yup - right at the same time as the wedding. If that slim chance of being a top 10 does happen, I'll have a 2 week time frame to turn around with a video compilation of my teaching, lessons, and interviews to submit to the state. - I'm really not going to think about that right now. - I also seem to be going to more conferences and meetings this year than ever before - I am at 10 professional days so far this year - I hate writing sub plans. It's more effort to prepare for a sub than it is to be at school. I think it's ironic that I win TOTY, and I've been out of my classroom more this year than any other. Next week, I'll only be in my classroom one day. In addition, I have my kids participating in a Book Club with a high school class, which involves Skyping and posting on our Wiki and broadcasting the morning news show daily. Both of which has to continue even with me not there - I feel for my substitute.

I feel like I'm growing so much as a teacher and a person this year. Just the couple of opportunities I've had so far this year professionally have changed me and how I deliver lessons and opportunities to my students, and the year is far from over. Then obviously the wedding and becoming part of a unit rather than independent is a huge change for me.

Now the pull of writing sub plans and finalizing the guest list is making me feel guilty for sitting here enjoying the release of writing it all out, so I guess I'll get back to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home