Blackwater Writing Project

November 08, 2011

Where in the world am I?

Where in the world am I? is a question that I often ask myself these days. This last week I joined Google+ and joined in the Educators’ circle (over 530 strong at the moment). At the prompting of another educator, I joined Twitter. I have two Facebook accounts: one for students and one for family. Additionally, I have two wiki accounts for student use and one for mine. If that were not enough, I have four blogs on Blogger and one on Tumblr and one on WordPress as well as having accounts with various sites for bookmarking, aggregating, and for entertainment. Oh! I forgot. I am also a member of the English Companion Ning and, of course, the National Writing Project. As I am writing now, I am listening to my music collection stored on Google Beta or I can read from my web Kindle app.

All right now. It is official. I can deny it no longer. I am a geek/nerd, and I am addicted. To show how addicted I am, I don’t want to be cured. I want more.

Lord! My horoscope said that I shouldn’t share too much today, but I am tired of hiding my geekness. I love the web and going to these different worlds. I can glimpse lifestyles of the not so famous or rich and see what we have in common.A Year in New York In the educators’ circle, I get new ideas every day from teachers willing to share, my own PLN. At the click of a button, I can see what is happening in Mecca with the cameras installed for the Hajj or view New York Harbor from the cameras installed in Liberty’s crown. For the life of me, I can’t understand why people shy away from everything that is now available. Where in the world am I? I am everywhere. Oh . . . my addiction is showing. I’ll stop now. But before I go, my twitter name is eremus7 and my Google+ handle is Karen M. Join me ;-)

3 Comments:

  • Reading your post makes me feel tired. I struggled just to get the topic posted on this blog, and I'm about a week behind grading students' discussion posts on BlazeView. I think I joined Twitter a long time ago, but have no idea what my log-in or password is, and the concept of followers baffles me.

    Your post shows me the value, though, of joining Twitter, particularly if I can follow smart people.

    I want to be as connected as you are, but that will take some doing, and I don't see it happening very soon. Maybe I'll just start with figuring out how to log in to Twitter again. Small, baby steps, that's all I need right now.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 12:49 PM  

  • That's how it started with me, but I don't have the responsibilities that you do with children. If I can help in any way, let me know.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:43 AM  

  • It's funny how identities change over time. In the nineties, I was one of the technology leaders, teaching on MUDs and MOOs, having students create worlds in those environments that no longer exist. We used to hold tutorial appointments in there and hold cross-institutional meetings of rhet/comp, specifically Writing Center, folks. Now I resist putting materials on BlazeView and haven't used Twitter anything newer. My baby steps have involved using the discussion posts on BlazeView and putting grade information on there. I'm balking at doing more than that right now, but we'll see. I'm ready to think more about how to use technology effectively. You should offer a workshop, though, for faculty on just one of the ways you use technology. I'd be there.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home