Blackwater Writing Project

March 09, 2011

Grandparents and Dirty Jokes

I was completely over "that's what she said." My husband used this line at least once a day and I wanted to encourage him to act more "mature." I think this all started over comic book hero boxers and the next obvious step was to rid his humor of offensive sayings. Then my granddaddy unknowingly plopped a "that's what she said" into conversation and it was downhill from there.

Granddaddy and my aunt were discussing something my Granny said. My aunt asked, "Is the pot in here?" To which Granddaddy answered, "That's what she said." Now, I understand his use of the phrase does not match the connotation, but my husband and I took it the correct way. Now we look for chances to use "that's what she said". We have lengthly discussions on how to use it properly, clever ways we used it that day, or ways that we wish we could use it. My maturity level has dimishined and I will soon be wearing comic book boxers as well.

The teacher in me does not allow this in my classroom. I love that teenagers think I have no sense of humor and I am completely out of touch with today's world. It takes only one time for me to calmly say, "I know the connotation behind that phrase. Please refrain from using it again." Then I go home and make a joke with husband.

For the catch phrase portion of this post, "Bazinga" is my latest favorite.

1 Comments:

  • For your entertainment:

    Austin: How do you not like cashews?

    Me: I pretty much dislike all nuts unless they're surrounded by chocolate.

    Austin: Well I love all nuts.

    Austin (again): That's what she said.

    By Blogger Nikki, at 8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home