Blackwater Writing Project

June 29, 2009

Hair Bands - What ever happened to them?

Whatever happened to the hair bands from the 80s? I watch “Where are they now?” and have seen some of them, but not all. Just the other day, I was listening to Winger. I remember how in love I was with Kip Winger. He had massive amounts of chest hair, but it worked for me. Where is he now? What about the band Slaughter? I remember seeing them in concert and thinking the lead singer was wonderful. What about White Lion and Europe? I saw both of them in concert. I tried to just Google them, but I still can’t find out where they are now. Apparently some are still active. I remember when I saw Poison for the first time. I was in love with Bret Michaels. He seemed to use as much hairspray and makeup as I did. Now, I look at him on TV and wonder what in the world happened to him. I even saw a special on Sebastian Bach from Skid Row. He was on Broadway. Interesting. I loved that music, and still do. My poor daughter has to listen to Hair Nation on XM on the way to school in the mornings. I guess I like listening to it because I have such amazing memories of concerts, boys, cars, boys, music, boys… I think you get the idea. Anyway, I would love to write a book/movie about my stories. I used to watch the show My So Called Life and thought about how similar my stories were to those on the show. I always liked the bad boy, but he and I were both usually dating someone, so we stole quick hand touches in the hallway or hidden rendezvous in the park. I was infatuated with the bad boys, but I had the “regular” boyfriend so I always had a date for important events. I just recently reconnected with a guy that I met 21 years ago. He was definitely the bad boy. I was dating a friend of his when we first met. Now, we chat on Facebook about the days gone by. Isn’t that a hair band song? I remember now; that is from a Skid Row song, I’ll Remember You. It is funny to talk with someone who knew me back then, big hair and all. He is still the same person, and that is funny considering it has been over 20 years. One might have thought he would have improved with age, or at least learned how to spell. Sadly, no. I even find it funny that he has the knowledge to use a computer. That is probably mean, but he never seemed like the smartest guy. He was fun to be with, but not because of his brains. Oh well… that is a story for my book. Stay tuned!

2 Comments:

  • Isn't Bret Michaels the one with that skanky reality show where women try to get with him? That's too funny!

    By Blogger ktatum, at 9:14 AM  

  • Oh Kristin, he was once a hot guy. The problem is that he didn't change. Failure to change = death, death of hotness, death of intellect, death of spirituality, just death. (But honestly, I mourn the death of hotness most with him.)

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home