Blackwater Writing Project

October 06, 2008

Fall Forever

I love fall. It was really great when we lived in Atlanta and the leaves actually changed instead of just dying all at once. But anyway, my favorite part is that slow change of the air, you know, when you can feel the temperature dropping just a few degrees in the evening. Those are the perfect football nights. Cool air, a breeze, popcorn and cokes that chill your fingers. Post-season baseball (go BoSox!), college football, cider, baking pecan pies, changing leaves, clear nights when you can see the stars. Yep, I love the fall. No need for jackets yet, just long sleeves. Fall is also the beginning of Christmas shopping. My favorite day of the year is probably the after-Thanksgiving day sales. To be at the mall (no, not the Valdosta mall) at 5:00 in the morning ready to charge in the door and wait in line for that one deal I've got to have...ahh, that's good stuff. The smell of Starbucks in the air, and the elbow to elbow shuffle through crowded stores. I know, you think I'm crazy, but to me it's all a challenge, who has the best deal, and can I get it before it's gone.

The worst part of fall is that it's too short, especially in Valdosta. Some people would say it lasts straight through the winter, but it doesn't. It starts late and then ends when everything dies. Then you're left with crunchy grass, cold weather, no snow, and chilly humidity. The humidity seems better in the fall too...

No real point to my post, just sort of felt like rambling...and getting ready for fall.

2 Comments:

  • This is a good time of year for rambling. Through woods looking for firewood and enjoying the cool air that feels frosty so that when you blow warm air into your hands your nose defrosts LOL

    By Blogger Diana Chartier, at 6:10 PM  

  • I really enjoy the list of fall activities--it makes me think of my own list (which probably wouldn't include football or baseball). Quick question: BoSox? What's that? Yeah, you know, after-Thanksgiving sales aren't for me. I don't like crowds, but I don't think that makes you crazy, just makes you not me, which is probably why we work well together. Ah, the smell of Starbucks--always a welcome smell.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home