Blackwater Writing Project

September 16, 2007

New Topic--Let's Take a Trip to the Mountains

This morning, I stepped outside and I didn't feel the oppressive heat of summer. Could it be fall? In Blackshear, I'm sure we have many more summer days, but I am dreaming of the mountains. Does anyone else share my love for the mountains?

I grew up in the mountains and it has been at least 10 years since I have been back in the fall.
Oh, I used to love to walk into the apple ware houses. The aroma of the apples was sweet. The apples all sat in little white bags and boxes, waiting to be taken home and transformed into pies and applesauce. Usually on those days, we'd wear bluejeans and sweatshirts and wind through the crooked mountain roads. Stretches of mountains tipped with orange and red swirled beside us.

During the fall, my best friend and I would always hike a mile up to the top of our favorite mountain. Sometimes there would be snow or ice on top and we sat in the winter wonderland looking at the brightly colored world below. When we descended, we'd be starving and we'd drive into Cleveland for hamburgers loaded with everything. It was the only time my mostly vegetarian friend would break down and give in to her carnivous side.

Nights in the mountains are the best! You get to wear beautiful sweaters and sit by the fireside, sipping wine out of handmade pottery glasses and listening to guys with beards try to outdo each other on guitars. Sometimes when the fireplace works a little too well, you step outside into the dark night. The chill takes your breath and sends it up in little streams of white. The stars seem to twinkle more in the chilly sky. The gravel crunches under your feet as you walk down the driveway and look at the pond. Moonlight seems to dance on the top of the water, too cold to seep below.

The beach is a wonderful place and I enjoy it, but there is nothing like the mountains in fall.

So do you have any memories of the mountains or would you rather be at the beach during the fall? Tell us all about it.

1 Comments:

  • I can't decide -- I love both the mountains and the beach, for different reasons. I was reading a magazine recently and a woman asked how to reconcile her and her fiance's desires to have their honeymoon at either the beach or in the mountains. She was a ski bunny and he was a beach bum. I think in the end they went somewhere in Europe. Lucky!

    By Blogger Andrea, at 10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home