Blackwater Writing Project

September 10, 2007

Favorites

Too right this is great thing to use with a list. Brainstorming ideas, something I never did till I was in Donna's class. I didn't know how. My 4th graders don't really know how either, and the shame of it is that they are supposed to get paragraphs, writing process, and all the small details necessary but at the same time write acceptable pieces for grading. It is rather daunting and overwhelming. I want them to learn one step really well and then move on, however this is not the way it works and I must do the best with what I have.

At the end of the forst week of school I gave a sheet with questions, one was what had they learned about the teacher. I saw a variety of responses but among them were I like coffee, I love to write, I like music on, and I like to be on time. These kids were spot on with each observation. In addition to all of these things, I like to be with hubby, joke and play with my kids, spend time with my new grandson, call my family (too expensive to visit), meet friends, have a glass of wine, a good book, and relax in the tub.

The last three are actually closely connected. I don't need candles, because I can't read by them. But the soothing atmosphere of mirrors with sheers and scented water is a great start. The water is about as warm as getting into a spa, and a portable spa allows me to create bubbles and feel the massaging pulse of water as it is forced onto my aching piggies. The music from the bedroom trickles under and around the door being absorbed into my subconscious slowly bringing me to awareness when a tune I recognize as a favorite plays. There is a blow up pillow behind my head that softens the tub so I can lay back, the book rests on the side until I am ready to open the pages and find another place to escape to. A glass of wine or cup of tea sits waiting. The tea is hot and steam swirls from the top as steam from a volcano blows visibly into the air which is noticably cooler. However, should I go for the wine, it is the opposite effect. The glass filled half way with ice chips freezes and the wine poured over the ice creates a momentary steam effect. Eventually the ice melts and the glass has beads of water streaming in rivulets to the tub. As I emerge eventually from the water, I too am steaming, but also chilly from the air and hurry to wrap up.

Usually in a pair of wooly pj's. What a dichotomy. And of course another favorite.

3 Comments:

  • My students usually get it wrong when they try to describe my life away from the office. They picture me listening to classical music (um, no), drinking wine (um, double no). I do listen to classical music when I grade at Atlanta Bread Company, but that's about the only time I listen to classical music, and that's only because I don't control the music. However, I have to say that music works pretty well for grading. As for wine, no, just no. If I drink anything alcoholic, it would be a mixed drink, not wine or beer. I don't like the taste of either.

    Reading your post, though, makes me long to be in a hot bubble bath with a book. I have to say, though, that the mirrors in a bathroom don't cause me to relax as I lounge in the tub. I try to avoid ever seeing myself in them.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 7:14 PM  

  • I agree with Donna about the mirrors, but not about the wine!
    Enjoyed reading your escape!

    By Blogger kade, at 9:03 PM  

  • Despite knowing you're going to tease me, I edited my post to fix those two typos. I know spelling and grammar don't matter in freewriting intellectually, but having my errors posted on the Web for all to read freaks me out a bit.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home