Blackwater Writing Project

September 30, 2007

Karma and Success

Karma
Karma moves too slowly. I like the concept: do good stuff, and good stuff will happen to you. Do bad stuff, and bad stuff will happen to you. But I want to see the bad stuff happen to bad people immediately. I want to decide what that bad stuff should be and watch it happen. I probably only say that because it hasn't happened. Or, at least, it hasn't happened since I was a child. Sass my parents--instant punishment. Somewhere along the way, though, karma slowed. I'm not sure why.

Someone cuts me off in traffic, and I wonder if I'm supposed to punish them since they don't seem to receive punishment for their crime. I look for flashing lights, but no cops appear. Then I wonder if I'm supposed to be karma's agent. Maybe karma needs me. Maybe karma depends on me to teach people to be more respectful. I usually resist the temptation, but I wonder if I'm attracting bad karma by failing to act. Hmm.

Success
I skimmed the poetry posted by students on wacona.com--cool stuff. It's good to see students publishing their works. And it's clear to see that some are getting into it as they post multiple poems. That's cool. Jana and Joel, the legislative team, needs to collect student samples from you, Katie, at Wacona Elementary before they head to Washington to meet with legislators in the spring. It seems like your school is enacting NWP principles.

Speaking of publishing, our anthologies are at the printers now. I wonder if I should just mail them to teachers or if we should have a publication party somewhere. Hmmm, I'll have to keep thinking about that one.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home