Blackwater Writing Project

June 13, 2006

South Georgia Writing Project

Monkey Bread

Ingredients:
4 cans of country biscuits (NOT FLAKEY)
Cup and a half of regular sugar
3 teaspoons of cinnamon
2 sticks of butter


Quarter each biscuit and place into a bowl that has a lid. Mix cinnamon and sugar together in a separate container. When thoroughly mixed, pour over biscuits. Shake the biscuit bowl vigorously ensuring that you coat each piece completely. (This can sit over night if you need it to, but be sure to re-shake in the morning). Melt both sticks of butter and pour half in the bottom of your pan. (I’ve seen these done in muffins (my favorite), loafs, or the more popular bundt pan, adjust your butter accordingly). Layer half the biscuits in the pan. Pour the rest of the butter and any residual cinnamon/sugar over the biscuits. Then place the remaining biscuits in the pan. Bake at 350 until done. Cooking time will be determined by what type of pan you’re using. A bundt pan will take about 45 minutes. Muffins will only take about 10-15 minutes. I use the ol’ tooth pick method. You’ll smell ‘em when their about ready! When I did the three loaf pans I only had one layer so there was more “crunchy” which I like the most. Enjoy.

3 Comments:

  • Thanks, Adam. I've been waiting for this recipe. I've seen another version in which people wrap small balls of cream cheese inside the biscuits before putting them into the pan, but I like your version better.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 7:43 PM  

  • Cream cheese in the biscuit?! That sounds like the real deal. I gotta go talk to heather.....

    By Blogger Adam, at 7:47 PM  

  • I got clarification on the cream cheese version from my local food network aficionado, Heather. She says it’s a Paula Dean recipe and she calls it Gorilla bread. My question of course is why I haven’t had it if she knew about it!

    By Blogger Adam, at 8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home