Blackwater Writing Project

June 13, 2006

Short Session

I did not see what today's topic is, so I'm going to wing it. The past two days have been more stressful than I would like because my wife has brought me to school. First, I hate that because it makes me feel like a little kid getting dropped off in the morning. I always hated having my mom take me to school. I preferred to ride the bus. Reason #1 for choosing the bus: it got me to school on time. And now it is the same with Valerie. She is incapable of leaving the house on time. Sure, she has two boys to get fed and dressed and out the door, but hey, I put their shoes on them. The problem is she feels like she needs makeup to drive to and from the house, even though she does not exit the vehicle at any point in between. Why spend 15 minutes doing your hair if you're not going to get out of the car?? Can't you drive to campus and back in your gym shorts and t-shirt? Who cares if the shirt has a hole in it?? Are they going to see it? NO!! I think my wife has been victimized by the old-fashioned admonitions like having clean underwear on in case of an accident. Just on the chance that something might happen, Valerie has to be made up so that an EMT won't be scared away by her natural look, which is beautiful by the way. It makes me think of the grandmother in "A Good Man is Hard to Find" by Flannery O'Connor. She gets all done up to ride in the car from Metro Atlanta to Florida so that if she's lying on the road dead passersby will know she's a lady. Only females think such thoughts.
Speaking of, I'm taking sociolinguistics online, and last night I read a section on genderlects. I believe in them for sure. Valerie and I will sometimes fight for half an hour only to realize that we agree!! How can you do that if both people are speaking English??? I think she speaks some sort of Femlish. It's all based on signifying and never really saying anything straightforward. And anytime she tells a story it has to include references to the characters' appearances, which I suppose explains her need for facial masks and biweekly haircuts.

Well, that's about it for now. Damn glad to be hear, and thanks for reading....

2 Comments:

  • Jason,
    Your post made me laugh. I bet we could have fun as a group posting examples of stupid behavior from men and women.
    Donna

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 7:42 PM  

  • I have to say that I agree with you on some comments. My sister puts on make up before she goes on her 9 mile run. Yes, you read that right, 9 miles...every day. When I roll my eyes at what seems to be a wasted effort she tells me up front that she's vain and she knows it. Now I'm not saying Valerie is vain. Maybe she just wants to look her best for you. I didn't always wear make up or accessorize on my trips to the gym. I was never good at that stuff. I never realized how much it bothered my husband until one day he admonished me for not fixing myself up like my sister does. That comment cuts to the quick and it was 20 years ago. The marriage was over before it began anyway, I just didn't know it either.

    Right now I'm trying to answer the question why do I wear make up. I'm not afraid to go shopping without it though. If I don't feel like putting it on...especially on the weekend...I don't. So why do I wear it at all? Programming? I suppose. Maybe I won't wear any to class tomorrow.

    By Blogger Buttercup, at 7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home