Blackwater Writing Project

June 13, 2006

Sorry to Offend

Hey guys! So first, I've really enjoyed the project so far. (The blogging, I'm just picking up on, sorry!) When I received my comments today from yesterday's presentation I found out that I had offended someone by asking you to close your laptops. Thinking I was using teacher humor and all of you would understand, I thought the comment was okay. Apparently, I'm not quite as funny as I'd like to believe. I apologize if anyone was truly offended by my remark or felt I was being rude. That was NOT my intention. I would apologize to you personally and leave this off of our otherwise insightful blog if I knew who made the comment. So please, accept my apology. For everyone else, umm, sorry for blog spam? And now I'm off to do the sociolinguistic assignment that Jason has already completed, and I have, once again, procrastinated!

4 Comments:

  • Lindsi,

    All of those awesome comments you received, and this is the one that stuck in your head? It's fine. I can see how someone may have felt like a child when you said that, BUT I know me: I would have checked email if we had left the laptops open while you were talking. I would've been very furtive about it (imagine _Mission Impossible_ music), but it would've been a challenge I couldn't resist. Your presentation was very strong, and you're brave to go first. Of course, now you're smart to have it finished. We have plenty of other work to occupy your time.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 7:41 PM  

  • No, Lindsi,I owe you the apology.I feel like a total jerk. I didn't know you were joking and I'm sorry if I hurt you by my comments. Maybe I'm hyperconscientious (is that a word?) and wouldn't allow my attention to be diverted from the speaker. Jeez, I'll probably never comment again. Now everyone knows the ugly truth.

    By Blogger Buttercup, at 8:01 PM  

  • Vicki, You also had good comments about Lindsi's presentation. I think it's impressive that you owned up to that comment. I wouldn't have; I would hide in the group (big wimp, that's me). I think this is a perfect example of how easy it is to be misunderstood. Lesson learned--no big deal. And how great that you pay attention to speakers. I do when I MUST, but I can always use help with that. Engaging presentations and removing distractions make that happen for me.

    By Blogger Donna Sewell, at 8:10 PM  

  • Vicki,
    Thanks for telling me it was you; that takes a big person. I appreciate your honesty! And please, don't stop commenting! Your comments and criticisms in class have been very useful to me. I guess I'm hypersensitive, I just didn't want to offend anyone unintentionally. To be cliche, all's well that ends well, and that's the end of this. I'm glad you commented and everything is cleared.

    By Blogger blindsi, at 9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home