Blackwater Writing Project

June 14, 2006

Recess June 14, 2006

A break, does this mean we will get one? HA! It is not a really heavy load, there is a lot to do but it is spread out over time.

I took a few minutes to actually watch tv last night. It was late and Robert was up just sitting with me. The show we watched was Little Britain on BBCA. It is definitely from the other side of somewhere. Guys dressed as women, homosexuals who are outrageous in the form of attire they choose, and then of course the language. There were obvious cuss words, but surprisingly few except for one scene. Rent boys was a ______________ (can’t think of a word) used, and of course I had to explain that small detail. Good thing I don’t mind talking to my kids and being real and up front. These are my teacher moments at home, in the car, or wherever we might be. Keep in mind that Robert makes these cute faces when he says EWWWW! His mouth twists around the letters and his face scrunches up into itself. So we are sitting there giggling at the screen and what is happening when the scene shifts. A group of girls is in this park area and another group, the big girls, the toughs, comes sauntering along. They strut and ask the requisite questions, “What are you doing here?” responses are typical, “Its our place now.” “Oh yeah?” The fight is on. Not a typical girl fight though. This includes the dance moves to see who outdoes who. You know the toughs have to win, this is their show, but the other group is definitely better at the dancing. What will happen? Whatever it is must occur soon, the time is almost up. Rushing over to the girl the tough reaches out and before you can blink the nipple is tweaked. Away runs the group. Robert ewww’ed and ow’ed and laughed hysterically. Now sitting here all I can think of, for a moment anyway, is how much fun it was to sit and laugh with my son over something so silly yet so real and find a moment to impart what I believe to be open mindedness and acceptance.

Recesses are also corners of my mind where I go to hide away. I did that yesterday after my demo. I was terrified that I over preached or didn’t explain enough. Time will tell. I will look at the evals later and using the information find ways to improve. As a tool and its usefulness in the classroom I definitely want to use the exercise. It has great potential. Sorry Gary, I need to buy more books. It’s a good thing he is used to me doing that. Course when I mention this tonight I will get a response such as, “Like you need a reason.” Or “Sure you do.” You can almost see the wink wink at the end to emphasize his disbelief.

Nooks and crannies
Hidden in shadow
Hiding truths and
Treasures
How do we discover
Where to explore
Finding the secrets
Buried.

There are times I want to bury myself in a place no one can get to. These times are few and far between. I am glad because I don’t enjoy being alone for too long. I really want to laugh and smile and be with people I can talk to. I hid for to long as a child and have a lot to make up for. Perhaps this explains why I speak so much. It is amazing to me when I reflect back to see how I have changed. I am the same person, same beliefs and values, but there are radical differences. Like a virus that causes havoc ___ forgot where that was going, before it got to my fingertips. It wondered of the edges of my consciousness and is lost to the realms of darkness and recesses of my mind.

I like that sentence, will have to highlight it so I can go back and see where it leads. Perhaps I will find those recesses lost to the darkness and shadowy world where the real me hides.

I think recess is over, it is almost time to get back to class and address those serious issues such as the daily log, and and exciting demo. Can't wait to see what we get today. Its rather like a pot luck lunch.

Happy days everyone. Smile lots, laugh loud, and stay young.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home