Blackwater Writing Project

November 09, 2009

It's okay to lie when...

“It’s okay to lie when…” no one gets hurt. My parents had just started letting me drive my car without them. Who knew leaning over into the passenger-side floorboard to dig threw my purse for my ringing cell phone could be dangerous? Luckily, I had enough time to avoid a head on collision with a telephone pole. Unfortunately, my side mirror wasn’t so lucky. As my side mirror shattered and hung against the side of my car, I immediately began brainstorming possibilities of alternative stories. When I arrived back at home, I stormed in asking, “What happened to my side mirror?” My solution: play dumb. And…it worked! It wasn’t until many year later after selling my mother’s midlife crisis car I received when I turned 16 and maybe a few drinks that I broke down and told my dad. My mom followed a few months later.

1 Comments:

  • Girl, I had something similar happen. When I was in high school, I was crazy jealous about this guy. Well, he had a girl in the car with him, so I tried to wreck him by turning my car in front of his very quickly. My power steering pump burst in the process. When I got home, I told my mom that I was driving down the road, and it just burst for no reason. I'm not sure she ever believed me, but I don't think she ever found out the truth. I think now is too late!

    By Blogger Mary Poppins, at 9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home