Blackwater Writing Project

November 09, 2009

Lying for a Purpose

As a rule I hate lying. I would rather people be mad at me but know where I stand.

Having said that, as I think about this topic, I can remember instances where I tried to save my own skin, or protect innocent feelings with something other than the whole truth.

As a child, I remember being caught a few times, and since I was caught I didn't lie very often. Of course trying to we weren't eating anything when our mouths were stuffed with grapes, yeah ridiculous but I was 4 my sister 2. About age 14, I came in from "school" one afternoon. I should have known better. But the answer to mum's question, "Did you have a good day at school?" was "Yes." Of course she already knew I never got there. The next lie almost stopped my own wedding. OOPS. At least mum understood that one, and I am pretty sure that my dad to this day does not know about it. So in this instance, I created a situation where my mum had to lie. She was not happy about it.

I have told those little white lies to my kids. Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy. I don't think of them as lies, more like myths. They believe until they find an alternate way to make sense of their world.

Being married almost 28 years, I am sure I have told lies, untruths, and fibs to my hubby. However, they must have been small and insignificant to the point I do not know what they were. Likely a small transgression by the kids, neglecting to tell him something while away, or even waiting till later after I have solved it myself to prove I could.

My kids try to lie. I know it, and so do they. Some are whoppers to be dealt with immediately. Others are innocent and best left alone.

So is it ok to lie? I think yes, depending upon the circumstance. If someone else would be hurt needlessly, why do it.

1 Comments:

  • I always told the little innocent lies to my mom when I was in high school, and I guess I thought I was getting away with it! Years later...she's assured me I was wrong. I guess that is what mothers do.

    By Blogger ktatum, at 8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home